7.3 idi oil cooler questions

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys I just got around to getting my oil cooler off today. So when I pulled it off I see where the gaskets where there but there was none on the block or oil cooler and they didn't fall off. My question is how do I get the caps off the cooler?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
You push off the ends. I think i used a large quick clamp switched around so it was pushing apart instead of clamping. Also used a combination of the vise and a 2x4 to help too. When you put it back together, you put the Orings on the bundle. Some of the books for some reason have it backwards and tell you to put the Oring in the header and push the bundle into it. It cuts the Oring every time. So orings go on the bundle and push the header back on.

Runningaford

Reaction score
I used a rubber mallet to get the ends off. When I reinstalled it, I took some 600 grit sandpaper to the block to make sure all of the old gasket was off.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You push off the ends. I think i used a large quick clamp switched around so it was pushing apart instead of clamping. Also used a combination of the vise and a 2x4 to help too. When you put it back together, you put the Orings on the bundle. Some of the books for some reason have it backwards and tell you to put the Oring in the header and push the bundle into it. It cuts the Oring every time. So orings go on the bundle and push the header back on.

By the bundle you mean the tube correct?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes the bundle is the tube. If you use the rubber mallet method, be careful. If you just hit on one side, it's possible to get it to **** too far to one side and break the cap. I'll hit it a couple of times and then gently tap the cap in the other direction to straighten it out. Hope that makes sense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online