7.3 IDI IP number

Andrew Campbell

Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here. ill do a proper intro later just looking for some quick answers as im in a bit of a pickle. i bought a 94 7.3 idi f450 last weekend and towed her home. i was told at the time of sale it was a 93 and never checked the reggy tell today. here is where it gets weird. i need a new injector pump and oredered one today from pensacola diesels, https://pensacoladiesel.com/product/83-93-remanufactured-6-9l7-3l-pump/ that is the link to the pump i bought. its says 83-93 and also 83-94 on the same page...very confusing. i found out the truck was a 94 after i ordered the pump for a 93. i just looked up the serial number on my current IP and it is DB28315013 which i looked up and that IP is for a 92-94 auto tranny, mine is a manual from factory(i ran the vin) so im thinking there has been a motor swap at some point in time. my question is will the pump i ordered work? i am going to call tomorrow and ask but i would like to know tonight for ease of mind as ill be out a couple hundred in shipping if its the wrong IP because it is shipping from florida to canada. thanks for any feed back. cheers

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Welcome!
I wouldnt sweat the pump. I believe itll go on any 7.3 idi.

In '94 there is a year split. '94.5 they launched the powerstroke 7.3 diesel. They are completely different engines.

shawn deere

Reaction score
I would recommend conastoga diesel or R and D idi performance for all injector pump type stuff.
I have not done one yet, but have gleaned info from people here.

Andrew Campbell

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I was kinda under the same thinking but I don't get why there are there so many different serial numbers for the Ip's over the last few years of production. Makes me think there is more to it then that

shawn deere

Reaction score
I guess i dont know for sure. I could see turbo vs non turbo. Maybe one for auto vs manual.
If you dig into it a bit you can have a host of injector codes to match up.
Or buy from one of the two shops i brought up and everything is gravey.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pensacola diesel is crap; I give it a 50% chance it'll actually work right when you get it.
We've seen /lots/ of issues with their stuff.

Pump wise, *any* DB2 will work; it's all just fuel adjustment.
You can turn up a 6.9 pump to turbo IDI levels(and make plenty good HP with it), or turn down a "turbo-cal" pump to 6.9 NA levels.

Injectors are the same. Lots of theoretical "you need to run X injector with Y engine"; in reality, any set of good injectors will run just fine in any IDI.
The key, though, is that they are a good pressure-matched set. And most rebuilt injectors aren't.
There's only a couple of people who can rebuild them properly(using new injector nozzles, which is what wears); R&D(idiperformance.com) is one of them, and Typ4(here) is another

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Before buying from any vendor, you should check the hall of shame thread. Unfortunately Pensacola is in there more than once.......

Like macrobb said, the one you get may be worse than the one you have.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pensacola diesel is crap; I give it a 50% chance it'll actually work right when you get it.
We've seen /lots/ of issues with their stuff.

Pump wise, *any* DB2 will work; it's all just fuel adjustment.
You can turn up a 6.9 pump to turbo IDI levels(and make plenty good HP with it), or turn down a "turbo-cal" pump to 6.9 NA levels.

Injectors are the same. Lots of theoretical "you need to run X injector with Y engine"; in reality, any set of good injectors will run just fine in any IDI.
The key, though, is that they are a good pressure-matched set. And most rebuilt injectors aren't.
There's only a couple of people who can rebuild them properly(using new injector nozzles, which is what wears); R&D(idiperformance.com) is one of them, and Typ4(here) is another
I third this... send it back... don't even open the box.
that place sucks.

gandalf

Reaction score
Before buying from any vendor, you should check the hall of shame thread. Unfortunately Pensacola is in there more than once.......

Like macrobb said, the one you get may be worse than the one you have.

One of the great benefits of this site is shared information and experience. The combined knowledge of members is far greater than virtually any Ford dealer. Members here are more than happy to help you keep your truck running.

Unfortunately the experience I mentioned is not always good experience. We also share our bad experiences. There are many less than stellar diesel shops. They will take your money while offering poor service and products. For this reason the site created the HALL OF SHAME. That's a clickable link. That's a compilation of bad experiences, and explanations, members have had. It is a "must read" before spending your hard earned money.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the great benefits of this site is shared information and experience. The combined knowledge of members is far greater than virtually any Ford dealer. Members here are more than happy to help you keep your truck running.

Unfortunately the experience I mentioned is not always good experience. We also share our bad experiences. There are many less than stellar diesel shops. They will take your money while offering poor service and products. For this reason the site created the HALL OF SHAME. That's a clickable link. That's a compilation of bad experiences, and explanations, members have had. It is a "must read" before spending your hard earned money.

also I would like to point out this thread. not only do we document the negative, but we document the positives also!
this link pertains to reputable shops, and members that are vetted to buy from.

http://www.oilburners.net/threads/people-that-provide-excellent-service.73483/

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to this forum. That pump you ordered will fit and work fine. The differences between an auto and standard pump is found on the drivers side of the throttle shaft. It means really nothing for what you want. I prefer the 5013 pumps because they have several adjustments we can play with that some earlier pumps do not have. In the end any D2 injection pump will fit and run fine on what you have.May I suggest you contact Mel Agne at Conestoga diesel Injection to ask questions... He is well known around this forum and actually world wide. He is world famous for inventing the Moose Pumps that we KNOW outperform every other injection pump on the market. His customer service is better than anyone you will ever deal with. Reading the Hall of shame will tell you who and why they are listed in there. Pensacola has had a problem with injection pumps and rebuilt injectors for many years. It has been well known they used to test junk yard pumps. Then paint them and sell them as rebuilt after doing nothing about rebuilding them. Another equally horrible ebay dealer is from Tennessee.DPS in the place and Billy Williams is the guy we know to be lets say... LESS THAN HONEST and for many good reasons seen in the HoS forum....

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They may be more expensive than some others, but their products are top notch. You won't regret buying from them.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
expensive IMO is relative.
spend 300 on a IP 3x or a 700 dollar IP once.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online