7.3 IDI in a 79 f250

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
HOW do these old trucks compare suspension and drive train wise to the newer trucks? I mean like how does a 400 302 351 compare to a 5.4 4.6. I know gas mileage is bad but how does the rest of the truck compare?

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
08/19/2013

after the rain this morning I went for a drive down the Blackwater and went for a little hike.

stopped in at Punchaw lake

You must be registered for see images attach

next stop was Blackwater river to do some hiking

That does it, I'm moving to Canada.....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's actually really crazy how much that looks like the blackwater river in WV. I had to do a double take when I read that it was the blackwater river to figure out you were in Canada.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
It's actually really crazy how much that looks like the blackwater river in WV. I had to do a double take when I read that it was the blackwater river to figure out you were in Canada.

There's one in FL too. This one looks a bit nicer, though.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a Blackwater in every state/ province. Kinda like "Springfield".

Also, love the truck ;Sweet

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HOW do these old trucks compare suspension and drive train wise to the newer trucks? I mean like how does a 400 302 351 compare to a 5.4 4.6. I know gas mileage is bad but how does the rest of the truck compare?

well not really sure what to say as I love my new F150 as I just get in and drive and the pimp factor is high. with that being said I do like my old trucks as I just cant help to smile when I drive my 78 and even the 79 when its rolling coal :sly

was my first time going out that way this summer and was just stunning, hope to go back again

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
well not really sure what to say as I love my new F150 as I just get in and drive and the pimp factor is high. with that being said I do like my old trucks as I just cant help to smile when I drive my 78 and even the 79 when its rolling coal :sly

I love the newer F150's to, the more heavy duty trucks are great if you need it which I do but I bought a F 150 and for light duty and I really liked

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome pictures, sorry to hear about your trip to Ed not going so well. I never liked that place way to much traffic and more importantly way to flat...beautiful British Columbia is the best imo:p

To get firewood we usually go down the gregg creek fsr, Ill have to check out the mcbride timber road next spring/summer!

And congrats on the f150, i was there a with a buddy a few months ago looking at an ecoboost man those are nice trucks!

chrischaney

Sharing Knowledge
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics of your journey through the build. I'm really contemplating chopping up my 99 F350 SRW 4x4 to power my 79 F250 Supercab 4x4. I like the superduty for use as a tool but body wise there is nothing like a dent side. I miss vent windows and drip rails, not a fan of all the plastic either.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to put an IDI in my 79 one ton. I'm very glad to find this thread. Love the 70 models, the ideal of trucks in my opinion.

1994 Ford F250 Superduty, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing better than a dentside ford with a turboed idi....my friend in north GA is fixing to build one. 79 crewcab long box f350 going on a bricknose frame with a 7.3 and a 5spd...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen several builds putting the motor in the 79 frame but I haven't seen one go the other way. There is a guy somewhere here putting an old international (like 40's 50's) truck onto a IDI truck frame. Look up 73idi. There was a fairly recent build where a guy did the swap into a 79 I think. I think he called it Ironsides.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I was thinking the body swap bc ik a '79 isn't too old now (35 years lol) but when I build a truck I wanna keep it for a while and they will prob be harder to find parts for once they get 40+ years old lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a unique frame, it looks like they welded the 77 frame to the 78 frame to mate the trucks together. Then they used a body lift kit and cut the pucks to custom length to level the body on the frames. In some places I have a 3" body lift and others its on the bushings. I would think this technique would easily work to put a older body on a newer frame.