7.3 IDI in a 79 f250

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my way back stoped and flexed the truck out in a ditch, with no bumps on the back it seemed ok as was not maxing the shock out up or down but was lifting the rear tire. seemed like it could go more as the shackle had more movement in it

You must be registered for see images attach

bent tie rod cleared the leafs

but pitman tie rod was touching the leafs, will see if I can change it out for a thinner tie rod

almost full up so once the tie rod is changed I will be able to get full up

other then a few small kinks that I have to work out its almost wheelable

08/05/2013

got my hands on 78/79 bronco pitman and got it in with a new tie rod that has a longer shaft and able to work at higher angles as well.

so went and flexed the truck out again to see how it all clears. better but grease nipple was still hitting the leafs before full bump.

good clearance on the pass side

and while I was doing my little flex test I was going threw some gravel deactivations and dragged belly a little. didn't think much of it till go home and was doing a once over and seen some dents in the bottom of my oil filters

built a simple skid for it as didn't want to get to fancy as will be changing things around this fall

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
08/09/2013

took the truck out for a little drive tonight as got myself a new camera a few weeks ago and have yet to try it out. nothing to crazy to look at as was just me so didn't push it to hard. plan was to go down the start of the Beaverly to Miworth trail but didn't make it all the way as just way to washed out and lots of new deactivations

pics

full bump on the pass side, doesn't take much with only 1inch of up travel

new camera is awesome, much better quality of pics now but have to learn how to use it hahaha

sure has grown over in 3 years as hard to tell I was on the trail

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
back on the so called trail

another deac, this one was a litte tighter to fit a full size threw

once at the start of the trail got to see just how chewed out it has got by the guys on quads and sxs as was bad in some spots and real over grown for a full size

almost to the creek crossing and the real start of the trail and were I was going to turn around I hit a bit of a major wash out. first try I put the driver side in the ruts and only made it a few feet and lifted the ass end and put the drivers side into the bank. backed up and tried to high side it and was going good but called it quits as was lifting a rear tire and tipping. backed up a little to stablelize it and took the pics, walked into the driver side rut and it was over waist high to the bank. if I had someone else with me and a saw to drop the low tree on the other side I would have keep going

and a nice sun set on the way home

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
08/11/2013

went out last night and lets say it sure was an adventure. friend from work came out in her toy, we went down the McBride timber road out to the burner and then keep going and come out on the Pelican.

Didn't get that many pics as got dark right after we left the burner so heres what I got

when we got out to the burner some dumb ***** had just finished burning a truck out there so was all hazy from the smoke. we pasted them on the way in and they had left the truck still burning a little so I put it out with my fire extinguisher as the grass is really dry out there right now. few pics that have that instagram look due to the smoke

that's it for pics but just the start of the story. left the burner and headed down the trail at the top of the hill and trail gets muddy and some real deep holes in there as stick tested some and were waist deep. was able to go around some and with good driving on both are parts made it back to the main trail head with out getting stuck. the trail from there to the Pelican road sure has grown over and got bad since I ran it last 3 years ago. had to make some stops along the way and live up to my lumber jack beard and fire up the axe and drop some low trees so I could fit. buy this time it was dark out and was really cool driving the trail with the lightning storm going on and the stars out. made it to the second creek crossing and was all good till a little ways past that when she fell into some deep rust and got hung up so had to pull the little Toyota out and kept going. just after that I start seeing flashing lights behind me as she telling me to stop, go back to see what was up and turns out pass front tie had blown out. issue was no spare but did have the stuff to change it but just no tire and rim, after saying lots of bad words we left the truck there and she hopped in with me as we were almost back to the pelican. about half way between were we left here truck and the pelican there was a real deep mud hole so took the bypass but two down trees stopped me so backed up and fired up the axe again. tried again but still did not make it so ran the winch line out and pulled the old girl threw and carried on. finally made it to the pelican road and ran the 23km back to the Blackwater, not even 2 mins after being on the black water I almost hit a moose so that sure woke me up as buy this time is was almost 1am. ran into town and got the spare and headed back out to her truck. had some issues with the small jack she had so use the jackall and got it changed. had no major issues getting back out as after running the bad hole 3 times I had it beat down and she made it no problem. once back on the pelican hauled ass home and enjoyed the lightning show as driving home and was luck only hit rain on the last ten mins of the drive. so was a long night as we left at 8pm and I got home a 4am but truck worked flawlessly and couldn't have been happier for the second time ever wheeling the thing.

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
08/18/2013

went out for another little drive down the beaverly powerline with Hauck

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
08/19/2013

after the rain this morning I went for a drive down the Blackwater and went for a little hike.

stopped in at Punchaw lake

next stop was Blackwater river to do some hiking

Last edited:

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
able to get closer to the river on the other side of the bridge

my ugly mug

on the way home I took a side road as looking at my map book it should take me around the base of a small hill/mountain. turns out I took the wrong road but did find a nice lake at the end of the road

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
09/19/2013

the past few weeks have been crazy and have made a good story.

it all starts about month ago when I was playing on kijiji and found a smoking deal on some 2.5 rocks hahaha. got ahold of the guy and it was real and he had lots of them, some for parts but lots still in crates and some rebuilt ones too. buddy and I went in together and were going to buy 6 axles total between the two of us. so with a hand full of cash and the deck over trailer behind the 79 I headed for Edmonton on Saturday after work (hit the road at 9pm). all was going well truck was running good and not bad on fuel till just before Jasper. about half hour before jasper the trans shifter was making a little gear noise but if I put my finger on it it would go away. after driving half hour the other side of jasper I could not take it anymore.

this was my fix for the shifter gear noise, was able to really hammer my gears after this fix

was back on the road and looking good till the other side of Edson when every bump I hit the steering wheel would wander a little. didn't think much of it as buy this time it was 2am and I was beat and just wanted to get to Edmonton. the hwy is crazy straight around there so was just rolling along till a corner came up and I had no steering ***, made the corner but was a fight. had to fight the steering for a bit as couldn't pull over but finally found a safe stop. shut the truck off and do a once over and all looks good so pop the hood and take one look and thats when i really started to say the bad words. P/S pump had broken off from the block and was up agains the rad. bolts snapped in the block so new there was no fixing it there so cut the belt off and tied the pump to the inner fender and said F it keep going to Edmonton and fix it there. well cant be that easy now can it, start the truck and the starter says on. so pull the cables and stop the starter and back on the road with arm strong steering. make it into Stony Plains at about 4:30 am and partk at the Canadian tire and start working on the truck to see if i can fix the P/S pump braket to get power steering. was able to steel some bolt from here and there, used the AC bracket flipped and rotated and used the fuel filter brace and had the pump half ass on there.

here is the pump tied to the inner fender and the one bolt busted bolt, was able to get the one out but not the second one

once i was back on the road after jumping the truck it was almost 9:30am. made it into Edmonton and picked up my buddy and we got back on the road as the Rocks were in Vermilion and thats another 200km out of Edm. got ahold of they guy so see if he had a welder i could use to burn the ghetto P/S set up i made melted together. he did not but his friend across town does so was going to his place first then get diffs. we were about 15km from Vermilion and ripping down the hwy as P/S was holding and truck was running good. then out of no were it sounded and felt like a tire blew out as it was loud and didnt feel good. pulled over and looked around the truck and everything looked fine. said *** and looked at buddy and said F it as were 10 mins from the guys place with the diffs so lets get going. jump the truck again go to pull back out on the hwy and cant shift the truck so just ram into gear as there i a turn of 100 feet ahead. pull over in a parkingn lot and still cant shift so shut it down and start looking to see whats going on. clutch is still working and can see it working as have no inspection cover, put hand on trans and its so hot i cant touch it for more then a second. at this point i call the guy and tell him im not going to make it and will have to hold off on the diffs as my trans **** the bed. adjusted the clutch linkage the best i could and was able to now half ass shift so turned around and started to limp back to Edm. was able to get up to 60km before trans sounded like it was going to blow up and shake the truck apart. lets just say it was a long ass drive back to Edm all 200km.

made it back to Edm and was limping threw traffic at 6pm on my way to Freedom Ford as buddy works there and was going to park truck and trailer there and figure out what to do and how to get home. about half way threw Edm we were talking a left turn and i lost P/S agian. Ghetto mount held up but the main bolt in the block busted agian so just kept going. meet up with his lady friend and got for some food as buy then its Sunday 7:30ish and i havent eaten or sleept. got some food and booze in me and finally called it a night at 10:30. (remember i was up at 6:30 on saturday for work)

monday morning rolled around and went to Freedom with buddy as he was early shift and i wanted to check the truck out. was luck as another friends folks were in Calgary and heading home on monday so they said they would come and pick me up on the way. while i was waiting for them i was looking around the lot and found a nice looking F150. after a little test drive and some number talking we started some paper work hahaha. just after i signed the paper for my new ride i get a call that my other ride is there to pick me up, oops forgot about them. once all the paper work and insurance crap was done i loaded up the new ride and started to head home but was almost 5pm buy then. had to leave the 79 and trailer sitting on the street behind Freedom but buddy said he would check it everyday for me. new truck hauled ass home (140km/h ish) made it home then had the joy of doing the out of prov crap to get my plates and insurance.

so not even a week later the F150 had a set of Timbrans and a Trailer brake controller installed and was on the way back to Edm to get the 79 and trailer. now this trip was just as much of a gong show as the weekend before. buddy Brad was comming with me this time and had a place for us to crash in Fort Sask just north of Edm. roll into Fort Sask at about 2am and turns out buddy is sound asleep and not answering the door or the phone so afer 10 mins we give up and get back in the truck and head for Edm. figured just grab a hotel for the few hours and get some sleep. Well its the long weekend and there are ZERO rooms in Edm so buy now its 4am and im just beat so parked behind the 79 on the street and grab some sleep in the truck. get up when the sun came up and got the day started. did some shopping and meet up with some friends and finally got the 79 loaded up on the trailer and was on the road buy 4:30

poor half ton loaded down

was one hell of a pull comming home but truck did it, was not fast and was not good on fuel. with the truck backwards on the trailer if made it fun as took nothing for the trailer to start to sway so had to fight it all the way home.

once home the 79 got dropped off out at the farm to sit till spring time as just dont have the time or money to do anything with it right now. plus im not even sure if i want to fix the thing.

oh and just to make it even worse of a day while seing my truck being parked i had to go accros the feild and see this

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
11/02/2013

so truck has been siting for about 2 month now and i have finally gotten over my hate for it. talked about parting it out and even selling as is but have just been busy so never happened. now that im a little more calm i plan on working on it this winter.

plans
fix the p/s set up and add a ram
rebuild the starter
find a used trans to swap in
pull the 205 out and put the 203/205 in
get rid of the leaf springs and do radius arms
lockers from and rear
maybe 40s

oh and i was playing with these yesterday at work

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
05/06/2013
what a crazy busy weekend but got some good updates on this. did an exh job on a Toyota on sunday and did a ps pump today on bronco but still with a little help from a friend got some time in on the truck and made some progress

got the springs in and cross member in, diff under the truck and its all clean and ready for shocks and traction bar

cross member

used some old ubolts that I had in the shed that were the right length and just snugged them down once I had the diff lined up right in the truck. put a small tack weld on the spring perches as when I bill the deck and get weight on the springs the pinion angle might change a bit so will weld them on then

shackle angle right now with no real weight on the springs

so next weekend is start building the flat bed

Wow You have answered some of my questions and I'm thoroughly impressed with that section job. I wish My weld skills where that good. I'll tack my ***** but really have to get a pro to do the finish welds.

Thanks for this you've given me some ideas and so forth for what I just posted about LOL sectioning a frame!

Thanks again!

snowracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow You have answered some of my questions and I'm thoroughly impressed with that section job. I wish My weld skills where that good. I'll tack my ***** but really have to get a pro to do the finish welds.

Thanks for this you've given me some ideas and so forth for what I just posted about LOL sectioning a frame!

Thanks again!

well guess I shouldn't tell ya that im not ticketed anything and this was my first time ever doing a frame cut :sly

it really wasn't to bad, had it cut and welded back together in 4hours, that's not counting the fish plate.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I followed the build that black cab used to belong to and I have followed the 79 build as well (On a different forum) so I'm looking forward to what is next for this 79 you have.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I build bikes, I have a bunch of trusty CR 500's I built that I use Off Roading. A truck to build is a whole nother level of work. Nice country for sure where you are. I always liked that Generation of cab the 79. It was a one year wonder with the square head lights and then they did the redesign and tinnied it all up.