7.3 idi fuel pressure

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by tater, Jul 19, 2010.

1. tater

tater FARM DIESEL

what is the max fuel pressure on a 7.3 idi. how much can the ip take

2. icanfixall

icanfixall Official GMM hand model

Usually we run between 4 to 7 lbs but. I understand 9 lbs is about the limit. After that the internal pump timing changes. I'm not really up on whats going on at higher pressures but others will chime in on the facts...

3. FordGuy100

FordGuy100 Registered User

Like said to much advances the timing on the pump.

4. tater

tater FARM DIESEL

thanks for the info on that

5. Agnem

Agnem Using the Force! Staff Member Supporting Member

You'll have to dig, but I posted a thread that showed for each PSI how much the timing is affected on the pump.

6. tater

tater FARM DIESEL

could your retard the timing and crank the pressure up to make up for the timing or would it make any difference

7. FordGuy100

FordGuy100 Registered User

Yes I think you can do it that way.

But then I also heard that if the internal pressure in the pump gets to high it can actually sieze the head/rotor.

8. tater

tater FARM DIESEL

ok i guess i will leave everything alone. was wanting to go with a fass pump and filters i want to see how many miles ican get out of my engine. im at 267 and some change

9. icanfixall

The Fass pump will not help us at all.... It really does help the psd injection systems by removing the disolved air thats in the fuel. Remember they run around 20,000 psi injector pressure. Any air trapped in the fuel will harm the injectors. We run around 1800 to 2000 psi injection pressure...

10. tater

tater FARM DIESEL

do u know anything about the oil cooler and if you can go with aftermarket it seems like it wouldnt cool anything being right on the side of the engine

11. icanfixall

The factory oil coolers do a great job of keeping the oil cool. They are a coolant type cooler. The coolant enters from the rear header after it has run thru the drivers side block. Then it returns to the front of that side of the block. Kinda seems like its just pushing the same hot coolant round and round but it doesn't. I installed a oil temp port in my oil pan just so I can watch the oil temp. It normally runs about 10 to 15 degrees higher than the coolant... Then when you really pull a grade loaded it can run upwards of 240 to 260 degrees. I saw mine pass 330 degrees once...:angel: I lost a poorly installed freeze plug on a new motor at 5200 miles. No coolant... No fluid to tell the sender in the block whats going on... I heard the lifters knocking and saw the oil temp pegged. Tried to pull over but motor froze up. Pistons swelled up so had they stuck to the cylinders.... Not a pretty site when I got it apart...

12. tater

tater FARM DIESEL

that stinks my motor is still tight with a little blow-by in easy on the truck. when i got it the guy before me hauled 20 thousand pounds and smoked the clutch and brakes. it is safe he was an idiotcookoo.