7.3 IDI Banks Turbo - E40D in limp mode - No Tach - Help Identify Relays

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its ok, I really appreciate the help.

And yes, I could use that exact match up.

I thought I was great, actually clipped some wires, then realized something when staring at the corroded bottom my my existing connection, there were numbers that did not match what his relay showed. His showed 4 was empty, my relay has 4 filled, 5 empty. I am learning a lot though as I tried to do all of our tests.

OK, which relay do you want to do what? I suggest 70 amp for trailer wiring and 40 amp for TCM, would you agree with that? Can be done either way, just need to know so I can match the wires for you the right way.

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your suggestion is great, would seem that I could add lights over time (not sure why just now) but unlikely to add more on the TCM side.

(I was originally concerned that they would both far exceed what was needed for their purpose)

Appreciate the help.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long days, lotsa work, almost no sleep - you do NOT want me to be giving you any wiring advice right now. Wait till I'm a bit more caught up on rest and can actually think clearly, possibly tomorrow evening, but most likely Sunday morning.

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you get paid for your extra hours! I work crazy hours, but salaried... however I am very glad to have a job so it is a statement, not a complaint.

Thanks for your help, will wait for you to post back.

David

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posting this forward from an earlier post with what I was thinking at the time, it is where I was headed...

You must be registered for see images attach

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well darn it, can't find the spare relay box, which is a bummer as kinda gonna need it soon. In any case, based on your drawing, here's my recommendation:

1) for TECA relay, switch the locations of the black and red/green on the TECA relay - make #85 red/green and #86 black - the reason for this is some relays have built-in diodes that prevent voltage spikes in the trigger circuit upon relay disengagement, IIRC those only work when #85 is the trigger and #86 is the ground.

2) for the 70-amp relay, even though terminals are numbered as #1-#5 their positions match the standard #30-#85-#86-#87 setup, and apparently NOT the older Ford-designated #1-#5 you have in your truck from the factory. Therefore ignore the factory 1-5 numbers from the truck harness, and go by their positioning for the new relay:
- #1 relay pin (currently brown/white) should become black - trigger ground,
- #2 relay pin (currently brown ) is good as is (trigger switch-on),
- #3 relay pin (currently black) should become yellow (battery power in)
- #5 relay pin (currently yellow) should become brown/white (power out),

That should work out good.

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woohoo. Thanks for the help! I didnt get a chance to do both the tow and teca, but did the teca and it is working. I didnt have any step down butt connectors, saw some online but nothing in stores near me. So there are some big wire size differences between the new relay box and the old hanging individual relays.

I will do the tow relay tonight if I get home from work early enough and report back.

Thanks for the help,

David

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never use step-down connectors, just use the size that fits the larger wire and then strip the smaller wire at double length and fold it over to make it fatter so it fits snug in the connector. Once it's all covered with heat-shrink it doesn't matter any more anyways.

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, just a report back. The match up in post 36 worked great.

Things are moving again, now on to hunting down the leaks that keep making my driveway look like a bus stop...

Thanks to all, especially LCAM-01XA. I am new at this and learning, your patience is appreciated.

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online