6 speed in a first gen?

92oilburnerr

Reaction score
can the 6 speed manual out of a 2nd gen cummins bolt up to a first gen cummins? what all would need to be done to make it work?
i have a 92 first gen with 177000 and it has the 5 speed manual.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The Getrag isn't that bad a transmission if you take care of it. Make sure to overfill it if you can and don't drive it like it's a racing trannie.

If you're set on the swap go with the NV4500. It has a larger input shaft and is a stronger transmission overall. A friend that has a '99 with the 6-speed hates it. He said that every time he shifts into the split gear (I think it's 3rd or 4th) it's like he drops anchor.

I know one member here who did a swap to the NV4500, so maybe Mark will chime in with his experiences. But if it were me, I'd take the money and spend it on power mods and things of that nature and stick with the 'Rag.

MMeier

Reaction score
The Getrag isn't that bad a transmission if you take care of it. Make sure to overfill it if you can and don't drive it like it's a racing trannie.

If you're set on the swap go with the NV4500. It has a larger input shaft and is a stronger transmission overall. A friend that has a '99 with the 6-speed hates it. He said that every time he shifts into the split gear (I think it's 3rd or 4th) it's like he drops anchor.

I know one member here who did a swap to the NV4500, so maybe Mark will chime in with his experiences. But if it were me, I'd take the money and spend it on power mods and things of that nature and stick with the 'Rag.

My Getrag was fine till it started making some horrendous noises at 158k or so. Best thing I've done to a first gen... having owned two of them so far... is to swap over to a 4500. As for a 5600, after all the trouble I've had with several in my '03 I would not contemplate putting one in a first gen.

MMeier

Reaction score
Dude did you get another 1st Gen? I thought you had a CC D250. What the deuce?

Have had the present '93 W250 CC for 2.5 years now, has 165k on it. The '03 dually has been around since 11/02 when I bought it new, has 212k miles on it now, put 40k on the '93 since I've had it, been to Oklahoma several times... and no points east of there LOL... Montana, Colorado several times, and all over Az., Ca., and Nv. ! What you do, move again? Still have the same number as before?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
LOL....yeah I am in the process of moving. Gotta go where the work is. Loved MS but there wasn't anything there that paid worth a damn. Still have the same number, but the wifey has that phone (it serves as our house number.)