6.9e-series serpentine swap

Johnboy

Johnboy
Reaction score
I've have an 86 van I'd like to convert to a serpentine belt.
I also have a 93 7.3 parts truck with everything to get it done.
Does anyone know if this swap is easily done? I understand the alternator differences and ac is not an issue as neither vehicle has it.

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
Can you get away with using the stock pulley on alternator? I've taken it off doing the 3g upgrade and I really don't want to take that off again (I used ingenuity because I'm too broke to get an impact wrench). I already deleted my vac pump and I took the belt off my a/c long time ago.

Also, quick question....will moving to a serpentine setup tighten up the slack on this alt. belt?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you must use all of the serp stuff. the vacuum pump is different.
but is a complete bolt on. the only mod you will have to do is to the vacuum lines.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll all swap over just fine.
However... Why bother?
I'm pretty on the fence about which is better - Serpentine belts are easier to replace(one belt vs 3)... But so much more that can go wrong.

If *anything* fails on your serpentine setup, you lose your water pump. I've currently had both my serpentine trucks(92, 93) fail on me within months of purchasing them - on my 93, the tensioner bolt actually sheared off, leaving me in the cold and dark, 3 miles from the auto parts store on Sunday night at like 9PM. An hour from home.

On my 92, the vacuum pump siezed out of the blue(I checked it not a couple days before and it spun smoothly). This heated the belt to such an extent that the two ABS tensioner pulleys(that I had just replace) literally melted, then the belt shredded itself.

In *both* of these cases, it wasn't just a matter of slap a new belt in place - parts got broken.

I've had an alternator sieze on a V-belt truck - cut the belt and continue on.

I've had an alternator belt just disintegrate too(it was old, long past replacement time). I was able to take my time, find a good place to pull off and replace it. I could have driven home if I wanted to, without the alternator.

This is why I'm not convinced in the 'superiority' of the serpentine belt system... Single point of failure, anyone?

daazedjmcfarland

Reaction score
This is why I was asking if a serpentine belt will get rid of the slack that is on these alternators. Two main benefits I see with a surpentine belt is ease to replace and the belt tensioners. And to be honest I think that manufacturers can make serpentine belt setups for cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online