6.9 with a zf5?

Mowman 7721

Reaction score
Heyes yall,I'm new here.. I've got a 1986 f250 with 6.9,t- 19,,I want to swap in a Zf5. I've read here it's a good swap,I can't find a bell housing as mine broke at the clutch pivot. So I thought put a 5 speed in it.. I love my truck,we've been through a lot together. I hear Zf5 t19 are pretty close to same size n such ...just wanted to be very clear on that,,oh it a 4x4 too. Thanks for any info

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If what you're asking is "will it work?" the answer is yes. I've personally done it twice.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heyes yall,I'm new here.. I've got a 1986 f250 with 6.9,t- 19,,I want to swap in a Zf5. I've read here it's a good swap,I can't find a bell housing as mine broke at the clutch pivot. So I thought put a 5 speed in it.. I love my truck,we've been through a lot together. I hear Zf5 t19 are pretty close to same size n such ...just wanted to be very clear on that,,oh it a 4x4 too. Thanks for any info

Big thing you might get blind-sided by is the flywheel. The zf takes a different flywheel. And the factory used a special flywheel called a dmf or dual mass flywheel. This is a two piece flywheel with clutches and springs to dampen the spikes from the engine when it fires. The zf will take these spikes and make a rattling noise if the dmf is not used.

You will find the dmf is very expensive. And they wear out like the clutch does, so usually the old flywheel you get from the donor is wore out. Most people use a solid conversion flywheel kit. I have never used one, I did the lucky mod on my zf swap. But over and over I hear comments from people who use the solid conversion flywheels, they have varying results. I believe they all make some noise, the dmf is the only one that will keep it totally quiet. How smooth your engine runs and several other factors seem to affect how much noise it makes.

Just be warned, after the swap if your trans sounds like it has gravel in it, don't worry about it, live with it.