6.9 idk won't start randomly please help

Anthony teague

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a 84 f250 6.9 idi. I drive the truck every day, and it starts well every day. I have never used either or a starting aid of any kind. I drive the truck to work this morning like I do everyday (started great) I go to start it after work and it will not start. I cranked and cranked. It turns over but shows no signs of wanting to start. I tried wd40 with no luck. I won't I use either (last truck I bought was a either baby) Grey smokes out the back like it usually does. I cracked some injectors and it's getting fuel. I don't have any idea what to do or what could be my issues. Any help is appreciated. I'm new to the forum so if this is the wrong place to post please redirect me

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Batteries are the number 1 problem with no starts. You need two good batteries that will spin the starter fast enough to get her going. If you get new batteries, get TWO of them. One new battery along with a used one will shorten the life of the new battery a lot.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you record a video of the truck trying to start? If your starter isn't spinning fast enough the truck will never start. That can be low batteries, bad cables, or the starter itself just getting old.

Anthony teague

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The battery arnt the best but they always start the truck. I tried jump starting it with my Camaro, just to add to them and see if the batteries were an issue. It turned over a lot faster but still no signs of starting. Starter maybe. I haven't considered that. I'll take a video tomorrow for sure

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
My moms PSD Excursion has 300,000 miles on it. I use to drive it before I bought my truck and every now and then it wouldn't want to start. Sometimes it would and sometimes it would leave me at work. It was very wierd, so my dad and I were trying to think of what it could be. We tried jumping it with Z71 gasser and got nothing, at this point we ruled out batteries, starter was fairly new so really didnt think it was that. We were thinking maybe injectors, IP, some kind of air intrusion all though we really doubted that. No codes or anything, we were stumped.

I kept driving it and one day at work it completely left me, I drained the batteries trying to start it. I called my dad to come get me who was 45 minutes a way, about this time its 30 minutes after closing and my boss man starts to head out. He comes and ask me whats up and I tell him whats going on and offers to try and jump it with the company 6.0 PSD. I said sure and we had them hooked up and the 6.0 was running for about 25 minutes before the excursion started giving some power. 10 minutes later it fired right off, just about blew my mind. Went home and swapped in some 65G 850CCA batteries and never had a problem again.

So my first diagnoses of a no start will always be batteries from now on.

Anthony teague

Reaction score
Okay everyone. Over the weekend I replaced my battery cables and terminals and bought 2 brand new 850cca batteries and threw on the truck. It starts now. But it cranks and cranks and cranks. It takes forever to start up. The batteries made a huge difference in the way it turns over. It turns over rediculously fast. When it starts it acts like it wants to fire and I cranked and cranked and slowly it'll fire up. I've never had this issue even with the old batteries. It's been about 65 to 70 so idk if glow plugs would be an issue or not. Any help is appreciated. I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks again

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be glow plugs or the glow plug relay. Does it start easier after it has warmed up ?

Anthony teague

Reaction score
Ya after it's been started it'll start fine. But like I said it's been 65 to 70 ad it still starts hard. Do you need glow plugs when it's that warm? I know that's a dumb question but I'm new to diesels

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah after it has sit you will need the glow plugs to work even if it's warm outside

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Test the glowplugs, very likely several are dead. When you go get new ones, get the motorcraft, beru or international ones. DONT buy autolites.

tomf250

Reaction score
Had a simular problem with my 85 f250. Check all of your fuel lines and make sure they are all tight. If it is getting any air in the system it will not start. As I recall, the line going from the filter to the pump was slightly loose at the pump. No fuel was leaking but it somehow let air into the pump. I tightened it up and have never had a problem since. It will even start without the glow plugs if the weather isn't to cold.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pictures would help.
when was the last time you changed your fuel return caps and lines?
does air come out of the Schrader valve when it does not want to start?