6.9 glow controller issue

crockettcreek

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new here but I really enjoy the wealth of info from you all. I have an 86 f 250 6.9 idi. I bought this truck and it is my first diesel. I had alot of trouble getting it to start cold. Replaced all glow plugs. This truck has been modified with manual push button switch for plugs. I rehooked the original wiring and the controller only stayed on about one to two seconds after truck sat for a week. Today i connected bypass wire and original glow plug wiring together at once, the system is now operating as it should without using pushbutton. Anyone have any idea what happened here? I also want to mention that after sitting for a week it takes a while for fuel to be primed to cylinders, still not sure what is going on here. Any help would be appreciated.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Not familiar with the older controllers so much, mine is an 87 with the solid state controller.

The prime issue is most likely caused by a small air leak. Start looking around all the return line "T's" that are on each injector and have a hose running from one to another. Some have also suggested a clear piece of tubing between the front "T" and the filter head. When you start the truck or are cranking it, you can verify air has infiltrated the system by watching this clear tube for air bubbles.

Good luck, finding return line leaks can be a pain. If the "T's" look old or if you don't know when they were changed, you might just want to buy a kit and replace them. The kits are like $30 or so.

sassyrel

Reaction score
disconnect the original controller--they like to stick on--and they will even burn up beru gp's----the manual one is good-----

crockettcreek

Reaction score
controller issue

Thanks guys for your help. I will try the clear hose idea and return the truck to a manual button setup. Again thanks for your help!!!