6.2 pops

jefflauck

Reaction score
Hello all im new here.Just bought a m1008 ex military truck with 44k miles act.6.2l diesel.Started her up ,and its popping very loud out the intake.Feels like #7 hole on exhast manifold is colder then the rest.Any ideas on were to start?seems to run ok.Bad Injector?valve bent?has clean oil and full of clean antifreeze.thanks Jeff

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
First thought was low on oil, but seems you've checked that. Too low of oil can make the lifters pop like a stuck valve. The first thing I'd do from here is change the one injector and see how it sounds.

jefflauck

Reaction score
ok,thanks for the advise,will try a different injector.I started it up the other evening and it started great and ran normal for about 8 seconds then started poping out intake after that?

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Man that's the exact symptom of a bad lifter. But I'd love to be proven wrong and it just be a bad injector. Faulty injectors can do a lot of mysterious things

jefflauck

Reaction score
Are these lifters known for giving up?I was thinking of putting a can of sea foam in the oil to try to get it to clean out the lifter.Im assumming these are not solid lifter motors.thanks Jeff

ceb0217

Reaction score
sticky valve I had one of my 6.2 do the same thing. I just changed the oil a few times and it went away.I later found out the truck was a former landscape truck and it had went about 22,000 from the last oil change.