6.2. In a motorhome

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
My dad and i share a 32 foot class a winnebago. Very clean unit low miles.

It has a 454 thats worthy of boat anchor status.

Id like to run an older 6.2 in it. Its got a turbo 400, and it spins about 2300 rpm at 62 mph or so.

Any thoughts about running a 6.2? Whats needed to swap it in?

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much you looking to spend. I have seen 6.2s with under 100,000 miles out of school busses that are cracked along the pan rail as well as cracked main webs from register to cam journal.

If I were to do it I would use a new cast block with a scat crank...... and upgrade to a 4l80e or get an OD. The only reason I would even mess around with a military take out is to get the hard to find parts.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
School buses spend alot of time accellerating and stopping. I can see extra stress applied to the block. (floored. off. floored off, ect)

I dont mind spending a few bucks, to get the right set up. I have read that there are better heads from certain years and better blocks from others.

Is the scat crank forged?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2s are a lot heartier than a lot of people want to give them credit for. You will just need to source up the accessory mounts for what you need, like PS, AC, ALT... They shouldn't be the worst to find, but you could possibly buy a rusted out vehicle with all of them still attached. If lucky enough, you would find one with a 400 to swap over with it. But at the least you will need a diesel torque converter, governor, and flex plate if necessary. Most of which you could even find at the parts store.

These engines are slow with acceleration, but will easily pull that load and more. I don't know what you get for mileage, but keeping the vehicle in it's power band would not only help the engine run more efficiently and get the power out of it that you need to pull the weight around, but it will also help you prolong the life of the engine and transmission. So pay attention to the gear ratio and tire size. That is important in any vehicle really. You won't win any races, but you will be surprised at what you can manage with these inexpensive and easy to maintain engines.

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep..... scat cranks are forged and the best one available for the 6.2/6.5. I would build the engine from the ground up. All the parts are available to build a P400 optimizer....... and the Navistar cast blocks are the only good ones. For my Suburban I went through 3 660 blocks and 1 599 block. Finally bought a Navistar block...... I had about $4000 in building the engine including the turbo.

you can find a used navistar block in a 2000 model year or newer but those will be a 6.5. New ones from from 1800 to 2500.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your not dead set on a 6.2 I could get you either a 4BT or a 6BT cummins for around 2 grand ... plus shipping ... and I will be making a trip to ME sometime this summer so i could drop it off to you or meet you somewhere in route ... the 6BT has 187,000 on the clock and all the 4BT's that iI can get my hands on came out of UPS trucks with less than 100,000 on them gaurenteed to run and not knock ... also some of the 4BT's have allison transmissions with them for around $750 that would give you a bullet proof power train for a very long time

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Id love a cummins, and an allison, but I dont have the space or facilities to take on that project. Its a class A motorhome, engine doesnt come out the front. I am thinking it comes out the bottom, but havent looked in some time.

I;d have to do it in the driveway, so it needs to be somewhat simple.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if you find a place to do it I can hook you up with the components ... It only took me a week to do my cummins swap .... the motor mounts are quite simple ... and iI got the cummins fan centered in the GM shroud and used the GM radiator so there wasnt much else to build .. like the rear tranny mount

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have been putting 6.2's in motor homes for years, so I would say the 6.2 would be your best bet, it sounds like you want a bolt in project. No offense with the 4bt or 6bt, but that is a good setup, but a flippin expensive setup when it comes time for any kinda parts or God forbid an over haul. There are a ton of 6.2/6.5's on the cheap so you could have a couple for backups and still be out ahead of the cummins swap. It has been said on here already, as long as you are not in a hurry you will do fine, and you will get decent fuel economy too, better than the 454.

chrisc17cjs

Reaction score
advice on how to drop 6.2 gmc out of a class rv

Id love a cummins, and an allison, but I dont have the space or facilities to take on that project. Its a class A motorhome, engine doesnt come out the front. I am thinking it comes out the bottom, but havent looked in some time.

I;d have to do it in the driveway, so it needs to be somewhat simple.

I have blown a head gasket in my A Class RV an Allegro, and need to drop the engine (6.2l diesel) down to the floor and replace with a recon one, how did you do it in the end and can you give me any advice, i am really worried that they wont drop out and it mean major bodywork at the front etc??
please reply it would really be appreciated, its on the old p30 step van chassis
cheers

Chris from england uk
(dont know much about about RV's or 6.2 diesels)

wickedlynt

Reaction score
the right block...

yep..... scat cranks are forged and the best one available for the 6.2/6.5. I would build the engine from the ground up. All the parts are available to build a P400 optimizer....... and the Navistar cast blocks are the only good ones. For my Suburban I went through 3 660 blocks and 1 599 block. Finally bought a Navistar block...... I had about $4000 in building the engine including the turbo.

you can find a used navistar block in a 2000 model year or newer but those will be a 6.5. New ones from from 1800 to 2500.

wow.. some great info... maybe you or some one here can help me in this area... i just got my hands on a old 6.2 mil spec engine (660 block) the data plate on the engine said it was re-built in 08 and has std crank and std bore.... i was thinking about popping the head and inspecting it... installing a tick head gasket (to lower compression) and to bolt up a turbo from a 95 6.5 .. any ideas... please and thank you

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd look into a 4BT/TH475 from a Frito-Lay truck if it were mine.

Eli

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88