6.0 boost pressures

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would start with the gauge.
You could easily test it with a air compressor that has a good regulator.

Egr would be next to check.
Unless it's been deleted.

Then boost leaks.

Then I would go to the turbo.
The vanes sticking is a common problem.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess what i'm asking is, is 20lbs to low for a fully loaded 6.0. This is the first one I've ever been unfortunate enough to be around and thats all its ever made. I can definately belive it would have a bad turbo, that's about the only original part on it now.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
oregon,

The 450/550 uses a different turbo than the 250/350's. If I remember correctly, it is a standard, non-VGT turbo on the "bigger" trucks and the vans. Only the 250/350's got the VGT, so I believe boost is a bit less on them. They may be rated slightly less on HP also, not 100% sure on that......

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have an 03 at work for a service truck, randomly looses power and rolls tons of coal. what is boost on these so I can order the right gauge,
thanks
Russ

Any CEL or codes Russ? Sounds like a malfunction of the variable geometry, or possibly a crack in one of the up pipes bellows (but you'd likely hear that). We rebuild a lot of those.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oregon,

The 450/550 uses a different turbo than the 250/350's. If I remember correctly, it is a standard, non-VGT turbo on the "bigger" trucks and the vans. Only the 250/350's got the VGT, so I believe boost is a bit less on them. They may be rated slightly less on HP also, not 100% sure on that......

Negative, vgt just like the pickups, same horsepower to.

And actually now that I'm thinkin about it, to the op, check the plug on the vgt actuator itself. They like to break the clip, and the last time the motor was gutted due to some failure prone, hard to reach, poorly designed junk item going **** up it might have not been put back on all the way. When I got mine back from being "Bulletproofed" I had that exact thing happen. Something to look at anyway.

Last edited:

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oregon,

Any 6.0 powered truck is the same motor wise. Only variations where the different changes in the year specific 6.0s, there was the 03s, the 04.25, then the 05-07 trucks. 06-07 trucks even came slightly different as some of the recalls where completed before the trucks left the factory, vs when the 05s had the high pressure snap to connect fitting issues.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
smoke, and loss of power intermittently, lets start with the easiest component, the EGR valve. It is in the front of the intake manifold with two 10mm bolts holding it down. Pop that off, and see if it has a lot of soot on it. if no soot is found check in the hole itself to see if it packed full of soot also. Then come back with your findings. Another quick check would be to look at your map sensor line on the passanger side of the intake manifold, if its cracked or has any leaks, it would cause a low power concern.

Check those, come check back, pictures of anything you arent sure about, I should be able to diag this truck online, 20lbs is low for a fully loaded 6.0 truck.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct for mine, I'm not the one who started this thread though. Mine got headstuds, egr delete and remote mount oil cooler. That answer that 20 lbs is low is all I needed, I can take it from there, I didnt know what these boat anchors where supposed to run for boost. Thanks