5 spd is howling

jimmys f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am in bad shape,,,use the sh^$^V$t outa my ole 95 dodge was haulin scrapm iron today then hauled in my calves today and havent checked the trans fluid for some time well today it the 5 spd started howling. WAS ALMOSTR DRY AND HAD TO PUT SOME GEAR OIL IN IT know you are supposed to use trans fluid ,,,HASNT CHANGED AT ALL. Question is anyone rebuilt one of these or is it better to jus throw in a salvage yard tranny,,,anyone know the ball park price on one. Need some advice

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
there not supposed to be hard to rebuild that being said i've never rebuilt one
i'd rather take the risk and rebuild my own then buy a tranny from junk yard that could have some problems as yours
i'd upgrade 5 gear while you have it apart also

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
rebuilding one of these is EASY. Only special tool you need really is a snap ring plier but the type that does the flat ones not the one with the ring holes - the snap rings are the ones that look like piston rings. other than that it's a pretty straight forward deal.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes a 95 will have a NV4500. I have to agree with the above ive rebuilt a few NV4500's at work, and as long as you pay attention and lay everything out in some kind of order that suits you theyre relatively easy.

-Jordan-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online