5.9l 1st gen 12v vs idi 6.9/7.3 pros and cons

Exekiel69

Reaction score
This provably belongs in another forum but You asked, You either tab the pin (pin is less than 1" long maybe 5/8" if I'm not wrong) or like I did You drill the gear case tap it and drive a long SS bolt. To turn the pump up if it was unmolested then You have to remove a sleeve from the fuel screw in order to drive it in (this one is held in position by a 13mm nut I don't know why they used metric :dunno) and don't go too far or You'll learn about engine runaway in a hurry.

It is cheaper to buy a 6bt used or a donor and use it for many years of service then replace with another one the day it blows (if the day ever comes) but rebuilding it could cost maybe between $2k or $4k.

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about this thread it was posted in both because i wanted takes from both sides but only one persont said anything on it but here you guys are willing to talk about it

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score
I found it to be a little easier to do the IDI Vs. 12v. I didnt need an adapter plate for the tranny or to cut out my cross member and drop it 2". I wanted to keep the truck close to stock without hacking it up. JMHO

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok heres my plan on this 1st gen 5.9
3200RPM VE Governor Spring, 16 sq.cm. Turbo Exhaust Housing Non-WG, Old Smoky Power Pin, Airdog 150GPH Lift Pump & Filter System does anyone have any idea of how much power il get?

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
In my opinion and experience...If you like being towed go with the IDI. If you like towing then go with the Cummins. I have informed my wife that I will not work on her F350 7.3 IDI any more unless it is to yank it out and replace it with a Cummins. Her F350 is parked right now and will stay that way unless she either makes enough money to pay a garage to fix it or agrees on the swap. She is currently driving her Ford Ranger, which, by the way, has also towed the F350 home a couple of times.
This is based on my personal experience. YMMV

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rebuilding a IH idi is "affordable"
rebuilding a Cummins will eat you alive. AKA...if you have to ask...you can't afford it.:eek:

you have to remember their is less parts (its a inline 6) so one reason everything lasts so well is because it all wears evenly atleast alot more than a v8, also i would do the 12v its not going to be that much more expensive to do and it would b worthit if you had the chance.

dont get me wrong i love my idi and wouldnt trade it for the world but if i could find another truck like a 12v i would have both

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok heres my plan on this 1st gen 5.9
3200RPM VE Governor Spring, 16 sq.cm. Turbo Exhaust Housing Non-WG, Old Smoky Power Pin, Airdog 150GPH Lift Pump & Filter System does anyone have any idea of how much power il get?

Why do you want a high rpm gov spring? These engines make max torque around 1600-1800ish. I can't see reving these things to the moon. My gov is stock and it works fine for me. Is your truck going to be a toy, or do you want it to live a long dependable life? If you stay with a stock gov, I'd suggest going with a 12cm housing. It will spool quick and not be a serious restriction at gov rpm. If you go with the high rpm, I would stick with the 16cm housing to limit high rpm exhaust restriction. The hp you make will depend on how much you turn up the fuel screw. Please resist the temptation to crank up the fuel and make a ton of smoke for no reason. My truck hardly smokes and it runs pretty hard, no idea of hp though.
Travis..

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
Why do you want a high rpm gov spring? These engines make max torque around 1600-1800ish. I can't see reving these things to the moon. My gov is stock and it works fine for me. Is your truck going to be a toy, or do you want it to live a long dependable life? If you stay with a stock gov, I'd suggest going with a 12cm housing. It will spool quick and not be a serious restriction at gov rpm. If you go with the high rpm, I would stick with the 16cm housing to limit high rpm exhaust restriction. The hp you make will depend on how much you turn up the fuel screw. Please resist the temptation to crank up the fuel and make a ton of smoke for no reason. My truck hardly smokes and it runs pretty hard, no idea of hp though.
Travis..

Yes, in stock form. The 3200 is a common upgrade for the VE motor, there has been much written on it on other sites, also the Project Rust Bucket in Diesel Power mag. The mods he listed and some tweaking on the fuel screw will make a great running Cummins that will still last many miles if taken care of.

92 D/UNIT

Reaction score
crashnzuk your no fun! the 3200 gov spring is an awesome upgrade and i think the 4200 rpm is even better(although i dont take it anywhere near that) gov spring will keep you happy, especially pulling hills.
as far as turning up the pump,, its a good thing too, but i agree smoke is just wasted fuel.(and the goofy tree huggers think its a bad thing)cookoo if you are going to turn the pump up get some gauges and at least a 60mm turbo comp upgrade, to keep the temps and smoke down.
16 exh housing a great addition to a auto and a 12 works well on a manual but EGTs will get high with any pump mods. Ive had a 14 and a 12 on a 5 spd and the 14 kept the EGTs manageable.

also I know where there is a low mile 93 w-250 auto(rebuilt with suncoast converter) complete although wrecked for a good buy

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my '92 unmodded is a underwhelming experience when accelerating. but then again, I have the autoOD trans behind it and I don't have the time to convert it to a manual so it will remain doggy to save the trans.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
there is power available in the higher RPM range.... really there is.... trust me.... No they don't hold you in the seat as hard at the higher rpms but they still do - they start to fall on their face at 3k unless you change the cam grind....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.