5.8 gasser to 7.3 idi swap?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I will hopefully get started on this swap soon. i just bought some new 36 in tsls for the truck so i am gonna button up the lift and tires then get started on the swap. thanks for all the help

IMHO...Ya might want to put the lift on after the swap, sure makes it easier to work under the hood with the truck lower.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about to be starting the same swap (but a '94 IDIT into my '86 5.8 F350), does anybody know off hand about the motor mount towers on the frame? Are they anywhere near close or will I have to find/fab some?
Also, I'll be putting a zf5 inplace of my c6, what year pedal assy's fit my body style ('80-'86)?
Anybody have any idea's about these short wide mystery radiators that fit the gas-job core supports?

Donk

On the Bronco, the factory motor mounts were on the frame behind the front crossmember. You have to grind the rivets off to dispense with them. The 80's vintage diesel mount plates lined up with the crossmember holes, save for 2, which needed to be drilled. That was the extent of the fabing work needed.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I might just do this too? i found a 92 F350 crew with the 5.8 and i'd like to put a 7.3 in it? and welcome to the site.... Post pics!!!!!!:thumbsup:

So much for that idea! he wants $2500 for it and it would be more work? but a freind told me of an 87 F350 4X4 zf5 for $1500!! it is a gasser and almost all apart? no bed or tanks and i think even a body lift? did the fire wall on these break too?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Ok how hard is it and what will i need to have for the swap?
I have found an 87 F350 crew 4x4 with a zf5, i want to put a 6.9 in it!
what do you think?

Bigandy87

Reaction score
This is an old post but worth a shot.... I have a 92 f350 7.3 idi non turbo dually. I found a 94 f250 with a blown gasser can i swap my diesel into it ( motor and tranny) also swap the single rear to the dually rear???

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an old post but worth a shot.... I have a 92 f350 7.3 idi non turbo dually. I found a 94 f250 with a blown gasser can i swap my diesel into it ( motor and tranny) also swap the single rear to the dually rear???
everything is a bolt-in provided both are OBS generation trucks.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
x2 with the only metal work being rivet extraction

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What engine is in the gasser? 460 to diesel is a easy bolt in swap, any other gasser you will have to make a plate for the drivers side engine mount as there is a big hole for the oil filter on those, passenger side is bolt on.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What engine is in the gasser? 460 to diesel is a easy bolt in swap, any other gasser you will have to make a plate for the drivers side engine mount as there is a big hole for the oil filter on those, passenger side is bolt on.
the plate is on the frame of the donor vehicle.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the plate is on the frame of the donor vehicle.
The crossmember are not the same though, diesel and 460 are one, 300, 302, 351 have a giant hole where the diesel plate would go.

460/diesel

You must be registered for see images attach

Other gasser

You must be registered for see images attach

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll have to find pics. but the plate went over the hole. three out of four holes was drilled into the crossmember to bolt down the plate.