4x4 Front Springs Sagging

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
My truck is sagging pretty bad in the front. Sitting on level ground it only has about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of clearance on the bump stops. My tires are cambered out pretty far too. I'd like to take the truck and get an alignment at some point in the near future so I don't have to hold the steering wheel sideways driving on a straight road. I also have a new set of michelins I don't want to ruin too fast. I don't guess there's any point in doing that unless i fix the springs first? Has anyone ever had any luck with replacement springs from somewhere like LMC Truck? I think they want about $600 for a set. Seems a bit pricey, but if they would last, that might be something I'd be interested in investing in. I'd also like to replace the shocks. They look like really old ranchos. I have a set of the adjustable Ranchos on my F150. I forget the number model, but they improved the ride drastically.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure to check every bushing. My f250 was sagging, replaced shackles, spring eye bushing and my pivot bushings. Picked it up an inch. For all suspension related parts contact bob at ATS spring in souderton pa. His prices can't really be beat for what you get.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^+1 Go over all the wear parts. This is a big job but the only way to get it right (or put a D60 in!) You need to change the pivot bushings also.

I recommend poly bushings; google Energy Suspension.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check those front shackle bushings up inside the frame. It's difficult to see them and they do wear out.

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
Would I need access to a press to install new bushings?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you have the Dana 50 front axle and would highly recommend swapping to a Dana 60. As for springs I bought some F350 front leafs from GeneralSpringKC--the price was right and very fast shipping. Be sure to order the right springs for your axle type! I was able to remove and swap shackle bushings pretty easily, but then again I don't live in PITA salt/rust country.

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
I'm not really wanting to do an axle swap. I'd rather just use the 50. It works fine. I live in sc. My truck is 100% rust free. I'll look into the bushings this weekend and see what I have going on under there.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my springs re-arched, put new bushings in and had them add another leaf since my truck had a plow on it. I eventually went to a D60 with F350 springs. I still have my old springs with low miles on them but the shipping to SC would probably be killer.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
88-97 F450 leafs in the front and a set of F350 rear lift blocks to level it out. front end will stay in place under accel/decel too,:cheers:

I'll take one kidney belt and some ibuprofen please!LOL I know some have run the 450 leaves, and I have not, but I have "heard" that these leaves ride a bit "harsh". Of course, if you have a heavy front bumper, winch, or snow plow, they may be the "stiffest" option out there.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
88-97 F450 leafs in the front and a set of F350 rear lift blocks to level it out. front end will stay in place under accel/decel too,:cheers:

He has the ttb frontend. He can't lift the ttb frontend without messing up the alignment, and if you go over 2 inches the shop can't put a large enough eccentric bushing in to get it into alignment without using drop brackets in the center.