3G ALTERNATOR ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 130-amp 3G alternator that is such a popular swap is internally-regulated, right ??

I prefer my alternators be externally regulated.

Has anyone converted a 3G to external regulator ??

Can it be done ??

As far as the mounting bracketry, is this a direct bolt-in ??

I have one of those tachometers that has a sender strapped to the alternator-housing that straddles the gap between the two alternator halves; can this be used in the same manor on the 3G ??

Can my existing pulley be used ??

Thanks.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The regulator just mounts on the rear of the alternator....A very nice setup. I put one in my 63 Mercury a while back, good upgrade.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could convert to an external regulator, but there is no reason to.

Yes you re-use your pulley. The 3G shaft is a little short, IIRC you cannot use the lockwasher under the nut, use locktite.

As far as bracketry, the 3G should be a fairly straight forward bolt in, you need to use bolts that match the hole threads. (Note that the 3G comes in many mounting configurations, you need to get one that mounts the same as your present one).

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
find or buy a 3G from a Taurus or Windstar van with a 3.8L v6...it will have the right clocking and mounting ear lenght. u have to modify the harness a little but its nothing that a little solder or crimp connectors wont fix.

for mine when i measured it the stock V-belt pully needs a flat washer behind it to bring it to lenght with the rest, then a little lock tite to keep it on and ur good.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a writeup on the 3G retrofit that has a wiring diagram with all the functions.

I looked at the write-up and included link in the TECH section, but it appeared to me like voltage was "sensed" right at the alternator, whereas it would be better if that reading were moved to the main terminal buss.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online