24v flywheel housing interchangeable with 12v first gen???

Links56

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if the 24v flywheel housing( the plate that bolts on to the motor) is the same as the one for the 12v? So in other words can I unbolt the plate off of the 24v and bolt it on the 12v? Thanks.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will bolt to the engine, but from everything I've heard, the flywheel and all need to be from the same generation as the plate.
Travis..

Links56

Reaction score
can anyone explain why the flywheel has to go with the plate? Just curious. also can I use the flywheel off of the gas motor on the cummins? It looks like it has the same bolt pattern for the crank im just concerned about the weight of it.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the flywheels are a different size between the 1st gen and 24v. If they are a different size, the starter location will also be different. My thoughts are from reading all of the Cummins 1st gen stuff since I've had my truck. I used to read all of the transmission swap threads just so I had an idea of what was what if I decided to swap transmissions. If by "gas flywheel" you mean a mopar gas engine flywheel, they are all 6 bolt unless it's from a gen 2 hemi which is 8 bolt. If memory serves, the Cummins is 8 bolt.
Travis..

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, the adapter housings, bell housings and starters, along with flywheels have to be matched. That's why the AA bellhousing for a 4500 in a first gen exists. With a second gen housing/starter, the starter will hit the frame rail on a first gen, and the rail needs to be bent for clearance.
The adapters are different thicknesses, and starter locations vary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac

Staff online