2003 Column Wiring Meltdown

dwillowguy

Reaction score
My 94 had a electrical problem in the column that cost over 700.00 bucks to fix and now the 03 has the same problem. There is a heavy red wire that plugs into the ignition switch that has melted and burnt the connector on the harness as well as the ignition switch. Symptoms were power windows started to act up (what that was to do with the ignition switch?) radio stayed on for 10-30 secs after key was turned off and removed ( kinda cool )and finally the heater blower motor quit ( cold when outside temperature is -10C and you have to drive it). Wiring harness and ignition switch was 105.00 bucks from the dealer. Now for the problem I have....top column has been removed and I can see the switch and cables. The old cables will have to be spliced to the new plug and I have to remove the ignition switch (switch is mounted on the opposite side of the key and is controlled by a splined rod). how do I get the tilt level off so I can remove the lower cover to slide the switch out

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Wifes '96 Ram had the same problem and Dodge does have a re-call for this.

:sorry: can't help you with the colum internals....

BTW....Welcome to Oilburners :cheers:

dwillowguy

Reaction score
FYI...to get the tilt level off, you just pull it straight down and it pops of the metal lever. Wiring harness and switch took about 3 hours to do with splicing and soldering harness back together. Looks like if you use the column tilt alot (which I do) it pulls on the top of the switch plug.....left some slack there now should be good for awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel