2001 TDI Just bought and now it surges. Help

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2001 TDI Just bought and now it surges when going with moderate pedal. It will have good power until about 3/4 of intended RPM's. Then the power just falls off. Trans seems ok and engine mechanically ok (as far as I know). I did find out that the EGR valve has a diaphram vacume leak. The previous owner pluged the vacumme line to the EGR and put a reisitor on the mass air flow sensor to fool the dash light code that it was still operational. Now I need some thing else to look at. Next thing I think to test is the vacumme to the turbo to see if it drops power when the turbo gets a signal. What do you think or have experienced.
Reset2

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i dont know to much about these cars but if you can get near Gary EMDdriver he has a real nice scanner setup that can activly read all the engine outputs from the sensors. i played with it on my gas Jetta to check it out.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The egrs on these like to plug up the intakes with soot. That's how mine acted when I had this problem. I also had to replace the ad due to a k and n filter destroying it.

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My son took off the hose feeding the boost air to the EGR valve and it didnt appear to be clogged, but I think we will just to check. We also scanned the computer and it showed a egr problem and a glow plug issue. I think the glow plug issue was fixed. thanks for the replies.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Look behind egr valve ( remove charger air tube and look through egr into intake bend) It is probably plugged with gooey black carbon buildup. also check your pump for fuel leaks, check return lines, look for air in return line, and be sure the shut off flapper in intake stream is fully open. I have had customer cars due this from intake plugged up, my wifes does it when the fuel filter gets plugged and it leaks air in around filter orings, and I have seen the flapper stuck part way from carbon/soot buildup and block off air.

punk

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ours also was falling on its face, for us it was the MAF, you could watch the readings on the scanner and they were way below spec.

The time before it was doing same thing, it was clogged intake. There's actually a youtube video on an interesting way of cleaning it that we did do when I was a VW tech. Cheaper than replacing. Kind of nontraditional.

Time before that it was the oil getting all into the turbo, gumming it up. Since it was original with 200k on it we just replaced it, but those turbos are not cheap. What the post above said is best to start though

sassyrel

Reaction score
The egrs on these like to plug up the intakes with soot. That's how mine acted when I had this problem. I also had to replace the ad due to a k and n filter destroying it.

k&n..ought be out of bidnesss....

Desertrig

Reaction score
My 00 alh had intake clogging. The car didn't make any more power above 3000 rpm. Did a crappy cleaning job on it and did see a little power over 3k rpms. This did not cause surging. I'd recommend preemptively doing the vacuum lines and checking the check valve. Additionally, inspect the throw of the vacuum operated turbo lever thingy. If you can find a *** com that should give you some hints. There is a list of folks with vagcoms at tdiclub..... Vagcoms are very reasonable priced for what your getting IMHO. You could check for oil in the intake near the intercooler. Honestly the only thing that kept me from deleting the egr was having to trick the computer....

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my EGR deleted with a Malone tune. So nice to not have to worry about a clogged intake anymore. That and they fixed the hot start issue the 99.5's had.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online