1994 idi engine knock

Cyrtis

Reaction score
To all hi, tell what can knock?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

IP and injector has changed. Starts to knock after a couple of minutes after starting the engine. So it was with the purchase of cars, I have a truck run over 40k, total mileage of 200k

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It is hard to tell from your video. Try to loosen the injector lines on the injectors one at a time to see if it changes. Be sure to tighten the line up after you loosen it.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the #3 injector and swap it with another cylinder's. If the knock moves, it's an injector. If it doesn't, it's something else.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the #3 injector and swap it with another cylinder's. If the knock moves, it's an injector. If it doesn't, it's something else.

There are easier ways.One of them for example,would be to take a long screwdriver and put the flat end on the injector,place your ear up on the handle and you'll hear a clear ticking.Compare to the sound of the others.Knocking should transfer up the screwdriver too.
Another way,is to feel them all.A really bad one (enough to make the engine knock) will be very hot compared to the others too.

At least trying these easy ways first might save ya some work.

Cyrtis

Reaction score
I changed all the injectors to new ones. The sound was before and remained after the replacement. I do not think that the problem is in the injector.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can still get a low pressure injector from new one or remans. There are only a few place that test each injectors to be with in +-50 from 1900 psi. Cardon and bwd the test them to poping about 1600 that is so you could get one poping at 2300 both will cause a knock. Some places can test them for cheap because it's not electronic injectors or hpop style.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would do the screw driver trick to listen to all cylinders to determine which cylinder is knocking. Hold the tip of the screw driver close to the glow plug or injector and listen to all of them.

Cyrtis

Reaction score
It can still get a low pressure injector from new one or remans. There are only a few place that test each injectors to be with in +-50 from 1900 psi. Cardon and bwd the test them to poping about 1600 that is so you could get one poping at 2300 both will cause a knock. Some places can test them for cheap because it's not electronic injectors or hpop style.

Thanks for answers. All the injectors were set to 1950psi before installation.
The mileage after is 12k

I would do the screw driver trick to listen to all cylinders to determine which cylinder is knocking. Hold the tip of the screw driver close to the glow plug or injector and listen to all of them.

Ok, tomorrow I'll try to determine. I'll record another video.