1994 idi engine knock

1964f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 1994 f350 auto with 176k miles it has a knock coming from some place i cant seem to find it replace injectors that did not help pulled valve cover all seem to be fine there have had a stethiscope all over still i cant find it has done it since about 160k runs fine any one have ideas

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is your hot oil pressure? Got a real gauge on it? Is it louder hot? Is it half engine speed, or fast like once per crank rotation. At 600rpm a rod will tick 10 times per second. Two of the 5 engines I have are turbo engines, both had rod bearing failer, one at 190,000 miles and one at 225,000 dont know why for sure but thats what happened to them.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Not really sure how to check a sticking lifter other than remove the valve covers and run the engine and watch for the push rod that doesnt move as much as the others, try adding something like "marvel mystery oil" to the engine oil and seeing that helps, I had a injector knock today so I went and got a additive and about 10 miles later the ticking stopped.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
yep i did that to nothing marvel is good stuff use a quart every oil change

Have you tried adding an aditive such as "iso-heet" to the tank and driving the truck, or maybe removing the fuel filter and adding trans oil then running the truck to see if the ticking goes away.

1964f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no i put new injectors in it can the injection pump not be putting fuel to one cylinder

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Sounds excatly like my truck (hit 178k yesterday). I have decided that it is my super advanced timing, or the lifters. I am going to reset my timing next week when the moose pump gets here, and if that's it, I am going in after the lifters.

PZ

1964f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats the super advance and phazertwo mine is like a light rod knock but the engine is smooth it has done it a long time i just bought it from my sister she has had it for like 10years any thing i can do for it

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phazertwo means his timing is advanced well beyond factory specs of 8.5*BTDC +-2* at 2000 RPM with the pulse method. Timing beyond about 10 or 11 BTDC will give you a very knocky, clattery engine. My guess is that this is probably not your problem but you could try loosening the injection pump mounting bolts and turning the pump as a whole a dime's width or 2 toward the driver's side. Caution! You should first mark on the pump flange and your gear flange where the timing is now. This should be done with the engine off. You'll probably need an obstruction wrench and/or remove the fast idle solenoid to get at that bottom bolt. I made my own obstruction wrench according to BioFarmer93's instructions on this forum.

1964f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i have isolated the knock to the 3cylinder pass side with stethiscope on block wall any ideas its not like a hard knock

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Crack that injector line open to see of the knock changes. If it does, then the injector is bad. If not it may very well be a piston starting to come apart.