1994 2wd e4od sawp into a 1990???

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
Hey guys. Got a question on my 1990 f250 2wd 7.3.

Truck has a e4od in it now. OD Button is on the dash and the wiring harness looks the same as the 1990 from what i can tell but, heres my issue.....

The 1990 has the speedo cable assembly, the 1994 e4od does not. My speedo is the cable driven unit so i was wondering what some options were to use the 1994 transmission. The output shaft dose not have the gear to drive the speedo.

Any thoughts on where to go next would be much appreciated!!!!

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
Also, just to clarify why im doing the swap.

The engine had bad valves and a blown head gasket/or cavitation problems. So I bought a complete 1994 7.3 idi factory turbo with rebuilt 1994 e4od to ugrade in my truck. The 1994 has the serpentine set up which i really like.

Im rebuilding the turbo 7.3 engine and freshing it up to install and have a nice reliable work truck.

My truck is in super nice shape, so thats why im wanting to go to all the trouble for the swap. Thanks guys!!

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
Thanks.....and thats where im kinda at with it. Sucks!

Good idea on the stand alond computer. I hadnt considered that just yet

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Also, just to clarify why im doing the swap.

The engine had bad valves and a blown head gasket/or cavitation problems. So I bought a complete 1994 7.3 idi factory turbo with rebuilt 1994 e4od to ugrade in my truck. The 1994 has the serpentine set up which i really like.

Im rebuilding the turbo 7.3 engine and freshing it up to install and have a nice reliable work truck.

My truck is in super nice shape, so thats why im wanting to go to all the trouble for the swap. Thanks guys!!
Hey guys. Got a question on my 1990 f250 2wd 7.3.

Truck has a e4od in it now. OD Button is on the dash and the wiring harness looks the same as the 1990 from what i can tell but, heres my issue.....

The 1990 has the speedo cable assembly, the 1994 e4od does not. My speedo is the cable driven unit so i was wondering what some options were to use the 1994 transmission. The output shaft dose not have the gear to drive the speedo.

Any thoughts on where to go next would be much appreciated!!!!

You will need to swap the early (90) extension housing and tail shaft to 94 case. Before you do this remove the 94 extension housing first. On the tailshaft check for a keyway. This is where the drive gear goes. If you have this just swap the gear from your 90 tranny. The 94 extension housing should have a plastic plug where he speedo cable goes.

You will need to swap the manual lever too. 90 is a linkage system. 94 is cable. Not a big deal to swap, unless you booger the roll pin. Then it gets fun.

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
@trackspeeder , i appreciate that info. I havent made it home to check on this yet, but very good point i hadnt thought of.

Also, now that you bring that up. Lets say the output shaft doesnt have a spot for the speedo drive gear. Whats the chances of using the output shaft from my 1990 with the gear, and installing it along with the tailshaft housing onto the 1994 tranny? I know thats alot of work, but is a 94 any better than a 90 e4od?

Last edited:

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
And as far as the output shaft goes, would an older (1990) e4od output shaft fit a better and undated (1997) transmission so i can keep my speedo?

Reason i ask, if im gonna end up having to do a build on transmission, i might as well go for the bigger front pump design, added main support, and better planetary gears. (1997)

Whats your thoughts guys?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If you don't have the keyway, then you need to swap the shafts. Your 90 shaft will be a direct swap for the 97
To swap the output shaft you will need to take the entire tranny apart. The output shaft is first in, last out. Check the bushings while its apart.

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
@trackspeeder , thats EXACTLY what i was wanting to know. Thank you very much!!!!

I have a 1994, and a 97 E4OD. Both 2wd.

The more i read, the more i wanted to use the 97 because of all the updates. I knew it would save me a HUGE headache if i could just swap the output shaft into the 1997 from the 1990 e4od to retain the speedo gear/cable set up thats original to the truck.

I realize id have to disassemble the entire transmission, but i wasnt sure if it would work. In the end it will be well worth the labor.

I really appreciate the info guys. Ill keep you posted on my progress. Im sure ill many more questions on this swap

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
i forgot to ask. Would you beable to use the 7.3 idi starter or would you have to use the powerstroke starter.

Also, what fly wheel or flex plate would you use on the idi when using the 97 E4OD?

The idi uses the 4 bolt holes on the torque converter, the Powerstroke uses 6.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a four stud torque converter

And, a triple disk with a billet cover only costs a little more than a standard. I was talking to my wife, not paying attention to what I was doing, while pulling a hill, switched out of OD while leaving my right foot on the floor, and went home on a flat bed.

It melted the plastic valve in the pump - metal is available - melted the snout off the filter, and welded one converter to flex plate nut.

I had the converter opened. I had ordered and paid for a triple disk, is was a single. There was zero friction materiel left on both sides of the disk.

I have been running a Baumann controller for over a decade. I think you will like it.

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
So in your opinion theres no reason to run the 6 bolt converter from the PSD.

I appreciate the info. I hadnt had the 97 e4od apart, and wasnt even sure the 4 bolt converter would fit the newer trans mission. Thats great to know, THANK YOU!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
So in your opinion theres no reason to run the 6 bolt converter from the PSD.

I appreciate the info. I hadnt had the 97 e4od apart, and wasnt even sure the 4 bolt converter would fit the newer trans mission. Thats great to know, THANK YOU!

The six stud converter is not compatible to the four stud flexplate.

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
@trackspeeder , thank you. Thats what i was thinking. Im sure someone has used the 6 bolt converter, but i figuerd the starter, flexplate and possibly an adapter for the crack would be needed.

Like was stated earlier, i doubt the idit will make enough power to ever cause an issue with the 4 bolt, unless its seriously modded.

Thanks again for your input

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online