1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonight on channel 444, it's the log truck show!

so why is it,the log truck show is always just me working on the truck instead of with the truck? well,or at least mostly anyway.i took my camera to work with me to help change that.

so most of the time,i use log truck to haul off good logs,from some solid trees i remove around peoples houses.im the guy that gets called in to remove trees primarily before failure.more often than not,around houses,swimming pools,other pout buildings,etc.etc.etc. where felling them whole is not an option so iv got to climb them and bring them down safely in sections or i prune them to keep good trees,in good condition,often times saving trees by installing cables so twin leaders don't split out.those are my primary jobs.once in a while however,the damage is already done and i get called in for cleanup.then sometimes i'll use log trucks auto crane to help twitch up logs whole where it would take a lot of time and manual labor to drag brush and haul wood up by hand.
well here in this situation,i felt it was a great job for log truck.i could let the crane do the work and being over 50 miles away,i could haul it all off in one load.
so anyway,here is log truck in action today,helping me cleanup a fallen tree along a house......

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

getting there! few more sticks to winch up.;Sweet .................

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    442.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    570.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    468.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    405.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    707.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    610.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    521.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    489.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    415.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this looks cool.iv gotta try and remember to take the cam with me more often.oh man,reminds me of a job i used her for last fall.that would of been good to show ya too.i climbed up and disassembled a massive white pine and then cleaned up some huge chunks of with this crane! of course it will be cool to show ya loading and hauling off good logs too.i'll try and take the cam with me more often guys.

well,so a few more sticks of this spruce to winch up.so let's keep watching as i fill up this 16' stake bed!;Sweet

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

alright! you guys got to see log truck in action.cleaned this snapped off spruce right up nicely.imagine all the lugging if i had to cut that all up into 16" and limb it all down there,and drag it up to chip truck to chip it.ugg! this was much nicer!:D
you can see a storm came in and snapped this tree right off.they got so lucky she just did a little deck damage.nothing a carpenter can't fix right up again.

it's not over.another one still to load up!..................

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    481 KB · Views: 85
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    664.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    523.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    497.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    498.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    466.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    636.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    479.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    597.4 KB · Views: 85

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
alright the log truck show continues.there was another 60' spruce over by the garage.i was able to spot this one while i was there to quote the job.as an arborist,i'll always do a quick scan of surrounding trees too.was able to catch this one before nature dropped in on the garage roof! felled it whole into the woods and it's time to twitch it out and fill this truck up!...................

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

so i managed to go ahead and 4' the rest and throw them on by hand........hey sometimes you gotta get your hands dirty.;)

this episode to be concluded.........

Attachments

• 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    401.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    519 KB · Views: 74
  • 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    477.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    646.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    588.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    487.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    536.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    441 KB · Views: 74
  • 30.JPG
    30.JPG
    637 KB · Views: 75

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
alright,time to inspect and do a little raking and leaf blowing to make this place look much better than when i got here.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

there she is.log truck loaded up.let's hope this 2wd slug makes it up the steep driveway lol.
time to head to dunkin dounuts and grab a cup of coffee.man what a great setup this is.i always enjoy working both my trucks.iv got to get this big old gal painted up so it looks as good as it's little brother.
attachment.php

attachment.php

there ya have it.now thanks to me,the owners can come up from out of state and just sit out here and enjoy Maine........the way life should be.

attachment.php

there ya go.the log truck show,this time as seen working with the truck instead of just on it.hope you enjoyed this episode here on channel 444! see ya next time on the log truck show!;Sweet

Attachments

• 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 32.JPG
    32.JPG
    435 KB · Views: 78
  • 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 34.JPG
    34.JPG
    522.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 35.JPG
    35.JPG
    611.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 79

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
me and the boys just got done taking down a coupe large poplar trees.im using log truck to haul off the trunks in chunks.i just went up to unload her second load and figured id take the cam this time to snap a couple pics showing the auto crane in action today.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

without log truck i would cut all this big wood like this up into 12" width and then rip them into 4 pieces.then toss on each quarter by hand onto chip truck.oh how i don't miss all that back breaking work.
did i ever tell you guys how much i love this truck? :D

iv had some work done to her dump.upgraded piston ram mounts and such but much more reinforcement of her frame and dump body are required before she can safely try and dump heavy stuff like this.
well,i could never dump stuff like this anyway,those chunks would roll and crush the stake sides if i tried lol.i also need to have a welded up steel box/cage around the cranes base so nothing can swing/roll/dump into it too.
the crane works just as well to unload though.either way im not using my back so life is good.:)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
enjoying the pics! that is a massive piece of crane...me wants. love seeing that 16' stake getting filled up!

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pics. Could that spruce have fallen any nicer?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The log truck show returns! Tonight 10pm eastern! (hopefully lol)

In this episode of log truck it's finally time for a reman E4OD transmission! With a transgo tugger kit installation,complete with pump mods,a reman high volume F5 pump,custom low stall,triple locking disc torque converter w/billet cover and 4r100 cooler bypass.

Can FORDF250HDXLT get it all correct on the first install this time or will it take multiple attempts again?! :D It's been reman,though at some point.At this point in time,it was simply purchased as a good,working,used trans.Will it in fact be any good?
Tune in tonight to find out!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In this episode of the log truck show here on channel 444,it's time to put a good E4OD into the old work horse.I've limped that old one along,for long enough.

Here we go guys! Time to prep the used trans with a Transgo Tugger kit! A shift kit designed for heavy duty towing.A kit that will transform the oem mushy thing into a HD towing machine with firm,crisp shifts and help prolong the life of the trans.I hope the kids don't mind I've borrowed one of their sleds they use when they come over.:D I'll clean it up when I'm done and they'll be none the wiser lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transgo Tugger instructions continued.........

I know it says for professional use only but don't worry,I'm a professional!.......Just not a professional transmission expert lol! If it looks complicated........that's because it is!:D
That's why we do wright ups like this,to simplify and show you how to get it done,step by step.It's all about just taking it one step at a time.

So I have the 1st type valve body.This means I don't drill and skip step 1.

Step 2.Install the orange spring.Here you can see the oem spring that get's taken out on the bottom and replaced with the orange spring on the top.Reinsert these things back into their slot as shown.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steps 3 & 4.Here we go.This ones a bit more tricky and takes some time to get everything out.The oem stuff pulled out and is on the bottom.This line up top slides right into the bore where this stuff came out off as shown.

Notice the re-installed retainer here mid way,as noted in the instructions:

OK.That wasn't so bad right? Very fun actually! Page one completed.

Page 2.Step 1.
With the 1st type valve body,it's simply: Install the red spring.The oem spring (as shown on bottom) gets replaced by the red spring (as shown on top.) Find this particular red spring located in this baggy shown.

The other thing noted on page 2 for the 1st type valve body,is to not drill this hole.Well how easy is a step when it has you not do a step at all? This is child's play.Little green sled and all.:D

Page 3.Step 1.Note the slot here in the accumulator body? This means No need to drill.Drill a couple holes if you see no slot here.
It's this easy.Don't let the instructions trick you.See where it shows the row of springs and valves? That's because if you need to drill a couple holes here,you would first need to remove everything in this bore.Drill your holes.Debur and clean the bore,then you would have the instructions to show you what order the stuff went back in,that's all.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Page 3.Step 2.Install these new springs.

Page 3.Step 3.Steel valve (shown on bottom) replaces the old valve (shown on top) along with this row shown.

Page 3.Step 4.Insert blue spring here.

Notice the drilled and modified solenoid pack (top) I just took out of the trans that's going in the truck (a ford reman.) It would likely be fine but since I have the newer and improved style and the kit states it's better to use the bottom type,so I'll use it instead.However I'm sure the top works just as well and I'll keep it as a spare.......though solenoid packs very,rarely fail.

Page 4.Step 1.Enlarge this hole with .110 drill bit.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Page 4.Step 1 continued.Install the orifice paying attention to which side of the plate it shows in the instructions.

Set the included 1/4" ball on it and give it a little smack.It will flare the orifice.

Notice it can't go anywhere with it peened and flared like this.

Page 4.Step 2.Enlarge these 3 holes with the supplied .81 drill bit.