1993 e40d trans problem

hotrod316

Reaction score
I just replaced the trans with a used unit from my buddies truck. I also replaced the fipple switch .the problem I am having is I keep getting code for fipple little range I have set it a 100 different ways nut still comes on .now I am getting code for lock up converter and trans temp. I can also smell the trans fluid when there is a load on it

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which TPS code are you getting, #23? Do you have the throttle floored while running the KOEO test?

Which code for TFT sensor? Does she try to shift from 2nd straight into OD when she's cold?

Which TCC lockup code, #62 or #94?

Smell of fluid often comes from fluid dripping on the hot exhaust pipes. The crossover pipe from the driver side manifold runs right below the bellhousing, if your front seal is seeping the fluid will land right on the pipe. Factory front seals are known to leak when transmission is under heavy load, remedied by installing a large aftermarket cooler up front and an upgraded seal on the pump

hotrod316

Reaction score
the code I have 23 29 56 62.
yes I did hold throttle down during test

the trans smell is not a burning smell it I can just smell fluid under load

I do have trans cooler and up graded the cooler lines to 3/8

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you verified TPS voltage to be over 3.7V at wide open throttle?

#29 is your VSS, any speedometer or cruise control issues that you have noticed?

#56 is TFT indeed, was the KOEO test run with engine hot or cold? If you did it cold try when she's warm (let her idle for a while, she'll warm up), if she was hot try when she's cold after sitting overngiht. TFT sensor is part of the solenoid pack and the general suggestion is to replace the entire solenoid pack. The sensor can also be bypassed thus "fixing" the transmission temp the computer sees - you need to be aware, however, that computer uses TFT as an input for adjusting line pressure, so if you bypass it and fix the temp reading at say 180F then the TCM will command line pressure corresponding to 180F even if the actual fluid temperature is -20F. If you are to do this, I'd suggest that you start thinking of your E4OD as a carbed engine with a lousy choke, and let he war up before you go anywhere.

#62 is the devil. How does your torque converter behave, do you notice the tachometer randomly jump up by a few hundred RPMs while you're in 3rd or OD? Did this code appear immediately after you swapped the transmission, or did you have some trouble-free miles for awhile and then she started acting up?

That last question actually applies to all the codes. TPS and VSS are one thing, but a bad solenoid pack can definitely give you the codes for the TFT sensor and the lockup clutch. Are you up for taking some resistance measurements at the harness?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online