1993 Chevy Lumina Problems

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Cincinnati Guy, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Cincinnati Guy

Cincinnati Guy Registered User

I bought a 93 chevy Lumina and only thought it needed a little work, but now it just seems to be one problem after another. First off I did a tune up. I drove it a while only to findout the catalatic conveter is plugged, so I simply cut it open and pull out all the honey comb and weld it back up. Well next I needed an exhaust so I got it on yesterday and when I went to start it up it ran like CRAP!!! it was running real rich and blowing some black smoke, along with backfiring bad. Well I ran it about 10 minutes and it all smoothed out and ran fine. I took it for a 10 mile drive no problems at all.... I go and start it up this morning and all is fine, then go out a while ago and start it up and its back at square one with sputtering, running rich and backfiring....

Also I should mention before I put the muffler on I had to replace the battery because something was running it dead. I got the new one and it did the same thing, but now its not running the battery dead.....

I really need to get this dang car going so I can get my truck painted....

2. Ironman03R

Ironman03R Full Access Member

Do you have a scanner? I'm suspecting a CTS.

3. Cincinnati Guy

Well I have one but where it attaches is different than what I have.

4. Ironman03R

Ok, so you have an OBDII scanner then. You can try puting the computer temp sender in it, ususally 2 wires, black and yellow, but without seeing what the computer sees your just gonna be throwing parts at it. Also are you sure the plug wires are right? Sounds dumb I know, but it happend to me once, about 7 yrs ago now. It had a bad miss cold, Cat would get red hot, so I thought it was plugged. Put new one on, same thing, ended up having 2 plug wires on the wrong cylinders, it had been like that when I got it!

5. Cincinnati Guy

Actually its not showing the check engine light...

Havnt done much to it but drove it today. Started it up after sitting a few days and drove id say 20 miles, The car sat about 3 hours then when I went to start it up again it started the back firing and crap all again but went away after about a mile of driving it. Man it was turning heads, sounds like a bomb going off. Anyway to test this all out before I go and buy new sensors and stuff?

6. Ironman03R

I wonder if something is heat soaking and causing you problems. Normally a cts will give you hard cold starts. Did you ever figure out what was causing the draw on the battery?

7. Cincinnati Guy

What is Heat Soaking? The car isnt hard to start, it starts right up. About the draw on the battery, I dunno what it was, it magically stopped drawing down the battery.

8. ameristar1

ameristar1 The One Blue Thing

Heat soaking is when parts are exposed to excessive heat causing malfunctions or failures.
    If you are near an Autozone they can scan the car for free. Just because the light doesn't come on doesn't mean that there isn't anything wrong.

9. Cincinnati Guy

Well I unplugged the Oxygen sensor and it started running like crap. I did notice the EGR valve has a lot of blowby on it, thinking thats the problem?

10. argve

argve Resident Fruitcake Staff Member

have you checked the codes yet?

On the 12 pin ADSL connector, located under the dash about right under the steering wheel will be a rectangle connector and you can jumper the right two pins on the upper row with a paper clip then turn the car on - but don't start it and then count the flashes on SES (service engine soon light)... it will report out the codes. This will not let you clear codes but will let you see the ones active.

11. argve

argve Resident Fruitcake Staff Member

12. EMD Diesel Power

EMD Diesel Power Misguided Trident

Cold-soak is the complete opposite.... wintertime is a great example.
    Most common heat soak situation is desert running and heavy loads.

13. Cincinnati Guy

Having troubles locating a used EGR valve, anyone have one? id like to swap it out to see if thats it first since I am getting a lot of blowby at the valve.

14. 94f450sd

94f450sd Supporting Member Supporting Member

first thing put a cat back on it and see what it does.those cars were not programmed to run with a hollowed cat.what motor in it?3.1?3.4? the 3.1 had problems with the coil packs and the ignition modules.they are under neath the front exhaust manifold.

15. Cincinnati Guy

Ya its a 3.1, I was thinking the EGR or the fact the cat was off because it never did this until we did the cat. Well looks like ill probably be forking out $200 for a new one! How can I check the coil pack to see if its faulty?