1985 A/C DISCHARGE HOSE

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in need of the A/C discharge hose for my factory-A/C 1985 Ford diesel.

My hose is just a simple length of hose with a male fitting at each end, maybe 20-inches long, with no pre-formed metal tubes made onto it.

All I can find do not favor my hose at all and have a metal tube made onto the compressor end; I don't think the ones I am being shown are for my truck.

Has anyone else been through this ??

Can someone point me in the right direction ??

A hose like THIS :

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=FAA&MfrPartNumber=55696&PartType=665&PTSet=A

: is what everyone keeps coming up with.

Thanks.

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original hoses were made for R-12 which was less likely to seep through than the new refrigerants. You will want to replace any hoses that are not barrier hoses.

Paul B

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have dealer installed A/C which would have different hoses.

Used R12 hoses work OK with R134a. The R12 oil seals the porosity of the hoses a lot. However a NEW R12 hose will leak a lot more.

Check with your local NAPA, they may be able to make you a new hose that is compatible with R134a. Most NAPA's have equipment to make various hoses, I get all my hydraulic lines there.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have dealer installed A/C which would have different hoses.

I am almost 99.95% positive that it is genuine factory A/C.

Everything else matches the factory A/C pictures and the cab is a RANGER XLT; all the stuff inside the dash is definitely factory A/C.

Check with your local NAPA, they may be able to make you a new hose that is compatible with R134a. Most NAPA's have equipment to make various hoses, I get all my hydraulic lines there.

The local NAPA makes hydraulic hoses by the thousands, but they will not touch an A/C hose; :confused: why I do not know.:dunno

I do have a guy that does custom make A/C hoses, but the dumbiecookoo always shuts down shop for about a month in the summer and he won't be back for 29 days.:rolleyes:

Some of you guys with genuine 1985 F-350 diesels and A/C, please take a peek under the hood and see just what kind of discharge hose you have; pictures would be nice.

Maybe my best bet is to find the same hose on a junkyard truck, salvage the ends, have my guy make me a hose from that, and swap it onto the truck when done.

I ain't taking my leaking hose off, without another one to put on, so long as a can of juice per week is keeping me sort of cool.

Thanks.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you located? I should be able to point you to a local hydraulic shop that can make you whatever you need while you wait.

Shoot me your zip code and I'll see what I can dig up.