1983 F250 w/ factory semi float Dana 60

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After way to many hours to count of research, after taping together the build sheet, verifying the VIN codes, going over dealer paperwork which was in the glovebox and cleaning axle tags to read them I verified that my truck has a semi float Dana 60 LS w/ 3.54's (VIN code C3) in my early 1983 F250 single cab 4x4 Diesel.

The truck has just over 100k documented miles and was my grandpas, nothing had been done to alter the drivetrain either as all numbers correspond between axle tag and other original documentation.

It's so strange that conventional wisdom seems to be that Ford didn't put semi floats in Diesels, but I have one and starting to believe Ford built some unusual packages in the first year of their diesel trucks.

Anybody else ever see any early model diesels w/the semi float Dana?

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an early 83 and it had an open 3.07 full float Dana 61. They ran what ever was on the shelf lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After way to many hours to count of research, after taping together the build sheet, verifying the VIN codes, going over dealer paperwork which was in the glovebox and cleaning axle tags to read them I verified that my truck has a semi float Dana 60 LS w/ 3.54's (VIN code C3) in my early 1983 F250 single cab 4x4 Diesel.

The truck has just over 100k documented miles and was my grandpas, nothing had been done to alter the drivetrain either as all numbers correspond between axle tag and other original documentation.

It's so strange that conventional wisdom seems to be that Ford didn't put semi floats in Diesels, but I have one and starting to believe Ford built some unusual packages in the first year of their diesel trucks.

Anybody else ever see any early model diesels w/the semi float Dana?

What are the GVWR numbers on the door tag? If you have the lower GVWR on the door tag, and the vin on the door tag has the letter code for the diesel, all on the same tag, then that is enough proof right there.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the diesel code, these semi float Danas aren't to weak for towing occasionally are they?

You must be registered for see images attach

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah this has been posted and verified here before,over the years.That there are some semi floaters placed in '83 year diesel trucks.

Semi to full floating wont effect tow rating any.Semi vs full effects payload.A full floating axle doesn't place weight on the bearings so they can haul heavy.

Hook up to whatever you want,within tow rating spec of the truck and tow 'er.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the diesel code, these semi float Danas aren't to weak for towing occasionally are they?

You must be registered for see images attach
If a million GM trucks can tow with a 10 bolt I see no reason why you can't tow with a Dana axle.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, good to hear it from folks with more knowledge on that subject than me. Seems like a lot of people talking about that as being a ******* rear end on a "lighter duty" F250
I had searched for hours before posting this thread, didn't want to logjam the forum with things that had already been hashed out time and time again.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2003 E350 diesle extended clubwagon has a dana 60 semi float rear in it. over 500,000km , lots of heavy loads on my trailer and it still stays together, its loose and tired and vibrate on coast around 100km/60mph, but its been doign that for almost 4yrs and no change. the carrier is badly worn out from heavy loads transfering weight into the carrier/Cclips . so it actually handles /steers better with a loaded trailer!!! dana 60 semis have a 35spline 1.5" axle shaft.......

I saw lots of dana 60 semis and jsut as many dana 70 1U fullfloats behind 460 and 6.9s in 83/84 F250 4x4s. then the 10.25 came out and they both disappeared in the Fseries.

unless you have issues with it leave it alone. unless you find a dana 70 from your vintage truck then grab er up.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A full floating axle doesn't place weight on the bearings so they can haul heavy.

I think he meant the full float doesn't place the load on the axles like a semi-float does. Seeing what I and others have put on semi-float f150 rear axles, I don't think you will have a problem either.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. Load goes to the bearings and not the axles.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he meant the full float doesn't place the load on the axles like a semi-float does. Seeing what I and others have put on semi-float f150 rear axles, I don't think you will have a problem either.

Yes.Right.Thank you.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She's got a tight rear end and no leaks, I'm not complaining any!!
I trust you oilburners a lot more than other sources that I'd come across over the last couple weeks.

Thanks and glad y'all took some time to weigh in on it!!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would this be one of those dana61s that can accept 3.07s??

The door sticker doesn't seem to show a weakness in the GVW department. My truck came with a sterling full floater and is still rated at only 8600lbs gross. Realistically single rear wheels are going to limit you to 6000lbs per axle no matter what truck you have since load range E tires are rated at roughly 3000lbs a piece. The 44PSI recommendation on the front axle is interesting though. My 2wd calls for 50 (usually run all 4 at 70).

According to this list, you may also have a limited slip:
http://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-...y-your-ford-truck-axle-from-the-door-sticker/

EDIT: Never mind, you already knew about the LS...

Last edited:

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would this be one of those dana61s that can accept 3.07s??

The door sticker doesn't seem to show a weakness in the GVW department. My truck came with a sterling full floater and is still rated at only 8600lbs gross. Realistically single rear wheels are going to limit you to 6000lbs per axle no matter what truck you have since load range E tires are rated at roughly 3000lbs a piece. The 44PSI recommendation on the front axle is interesting though. My 2wd calls for 50 (usually run all 4 at 70).

According to this list, you may also have a limited slip:
http://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-...y-your-ford-truck-axle-from-the-door-sticker/

EDIT: Never mind, you already knew about the LS...
My 61 was a full float. Did they run semi floats? Guess it's an excuse to change the diff fluid and check the numbers stamped on the ring gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online