1976-1979 Ford highboy 6.0L swap

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello all i have a chance to buy a complete engine to transfer case setup with everything needed to make the truck run 6.0l setup. I want to put it in my old ford highboy but i dont know of any that has done this mod. Do any of you know of whos done this type of swap. Also the engines ford replaced the bad engines with throught the warranty programs for the late 03 and 04 engines did they get the bugs worked out? It was a complete drop in replacement truck that had 900 miles on it before it was totaled.
parker

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats for sure ive got some very talented friends that would be interest in helping, but the only thing i dont look forward to is the electronics, which i could have them all but still an all mechanical cummins 12 valve and mechanical overdrive tranny sounds better but, it would be the correct engine supplier i guess.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why exactly do they call it a highboy?

Well the term Highboy originated with early Ford 4x4s up until mid 77 when they stopped making them and went to a lower profiled height over all.

The highboys were lifted from the factory and easily fit 35" rubber and with a slight mod on fenders could hit 40 depending on the tire. These trucks where Tres' cool and are awesome 4x material. That is why the diesel conversion works well for these trucks.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
as far as i know only the F250-350 with divorce mounted transfercasses from 67-77 are truly considered highboy's. i believe 77-78 is when Ford went to a married t-case and ended the high-boy era. i would love to pick one up but the funding dousent match the dream right now.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
as far as i know only the F250-350 with divorce mounted transfercasses from 67-77 are truly considered highboy's.
They never made a F350 High Boy. The first year for the F350 4x4 was 1979 which is very sought after for that reason. The 78-79 trucks wern't divorced either.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if my np 205 will bolt up to a torqushift auto? Im still toying with the fact of putting a 6.0l engine in and taking my time to farm out some of the really difficult work to make it look as factory as possible. That would be pretty bad... The only concern i have is making everyhting work right. like i said before the entire thing was gutted so all neeed materials are there.

What are some known problems with the 6.0l and torqueshift?
How did they solve these problems?

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
does anyone know if my np 205 will bolt up to a torqushift auto
Highly unlikely, might as well spend the money & throw some head studs on that engine BEFORE you put it in. Just get a manual shift T-Case out of a Superduty, not the auto shift on the fly T-Case. They have a good low range in them.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as far as i know only the F250-350 with divorce mounted transfercasses from 67-77 are truly considered highboy's. i believe 77-78 is when Ford went to a married t-case and ended the high-boy era. i would love to pick one up but the funding dousent match the dream right now.

theres an OK project 77 F250 for sale in manchester,md on craigslist i looked at with a buddy the other day, its a solid truck for a diesel swap, its in need of work but i dont think it would take to much to make it a solid vehicle, it has next to no rust witch is the biggest plus

the guy would take 2g's for it so he has said

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if my np 205 will bolt up to a torqushift auto? Im still toying with the fact of putting a 6.0l engine in and taking my time to farm out some of the really difficult work to make it look as factory as possible. That would be pretty bad... The only concern i have is making everyhting work right. like i said before the entire thing was gutted so all neeed materials are there.

What are some known problems with the 6.0l and torqueshift?
How did they solve these problems?

alrighty, let me break it down for you

torqueshift with the F-Truck transmission cooler has rare failures, that transmission IMO is stronger then the allison and is also a excelent transmission, if you do this swap stay torqueshift, use the ford TC also its a solid unit and has extreamly rare failure rates. so use the ford truck transmission cooler, lines, auxilary transmission fluid filter torqueshift and transfer case.

now for the 6.0

delete the EGR system by changing out the back right hand side inlet pipe, i am sure an exhaust shop or a reputable welding shop could accomplish this

on the intake manifold, some sort of air seal would need to be install on the intake manifold to seal the hole where the EGR cooler bolts to the intake manifold, and where the actual EGR sits in

buy all the ford harness for the power train of the vehicle, i think that would simplify your wiring worries, some things would need to be mounted like the PCM and some of the junction boxes, but i think room could be found

fuel pressure ford the diesel needs to be in the 45-55psi range, so how ever you would want to accomplish that would work, you could also utilize the ford fuel pump, witch also houses the lower fuel filter on the truck to make fuel pressure. on the super duties it mounts on the frame rail

scrape that ****** VGT turbo for something after market that wont break. the turbochargers vane's sit on the exhaust side housing of the turbocharger, and seem to over time rust pitting builds up and sticks the vanes so then the turbocharger is not functioning to its full potential, they fail often because of that, im not to versed on whats out there for the after market turbo setups of 6.0L's but i would definitely look around for something that isnt stock

with the deletion of the EGR system it could be hit or miss if the truck would run fine in a factory type setup. some people unplug there valves and run around without any sort of chip fine. other trucks can run like crap. what ever the case the truck will have a set DTC and not run to its full potential. with that being said, after market 'chips' 'tunes' and the likes can turn off the EGR valve command. i would do that once everythings in the truck running peachy.

i think swapping a 6.0L for power train (engine, trans, t-case) would be an excellent project and probably alot easier then you think

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so after some careful searching and bothering of people, it looks like im going to be alot better off selling the trucks i bought and just buying a drop in motor and the correct 2wd zf5, and then just putting a gear vendors on the back of my 205.

Im still toying with the idea of various powerplants though.

Was it a major opinion that the 6.0l and cummins was to much work and expsensive.? Those complete drivetrains i was talking about earlier for 5500 bucks are still available.

What do you all think? Would a 6.0l even fit in a 76 f250 with factory ac without hacking the heck out of the engine bay sheetmetal?

I guess it doesnt really matter as i have access and the knowledge to fab and re-cover just about anyhting but im curious weather is even worth it as i want it to look factory. From what ive seen the idi swaps look pretty darn clean.

Would a 6.0l engine with the auto take a zf6 speed and bolt up to it?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
What do you all think? Would a 6.0l even fit in a 76 f250 with factory ac without hacking the heck out of the engine bay sheetmetal?

I posted a video of a guy running a CJ-7 with a swapped in 6.0. He had to put the IC on the rear of the rollcage but everything else fit. If he can squeeze everything into a CJ, you damn sure should be able to make it fit in a 76-77 F-truck. just my .02