1968 f250 2wd 360 to 4x4 6.9 swap

68f2506.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to have a bit more power than the stock powerstroke, and turbo because more engine efficiency and better fuel consumption. I have an intercooler from a 05 dodge cummins. I got my fuel system primed again and got her running after running my glow plugs for about a minute. I must have the timing right, cause it runs really good and sounds aggressive.

68f2506.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I have been gone for over a month but I got $1200 of parts from lmc and got another donor truck because my truck has a rusted out seam behind the gas tank. I got clutch parts and brake stuff, so I will soon have to start putting it together.

68f2506.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my password figured out for this forum again. Little update on the swap, been media blasting the body, cutting out swiss metal and welding in new. The cab is fixed and primed, The motor and trans are sitting in it, need to move the motor forward 2" to clear the cab and I need to get my super cooling rad so I can fit the engine. It is on the way, 4 core copper/brass from performance radiator, my wallet is 700 lighter anyways. Will get the inner fenders primed this weekend and core support so can get it all fitting as it should. I rebuilt the rear end, new everything on the brakes. I also permanently mounted the transfer case and got it working.

68f2506.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This body work is not my thing. Doing it right so I don't have to do it again. I will stick to just swapping engines and such after this, but I want this to be a nice rig.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have said that too years ago. I always had older cars with mechanical linkage clutches. But I have been driving several later model trucks with the hydraulic setup, and it's pretty reliable. I really have never had a failure after years of use on my diesel and my little ranger pickup.
I've had two failures of IDI/zf5 hydraulics:
On my 92, after sitting for 3 years and having been parked because of clutch issues, it had no pedal(when I bought it). Filled the brake fluid, and it bled and worked, though lost prime really quickly. Replacing the 25 year old slave cylinder cost maby $50 and took an hour - No issues after that.

On a friend's 94, I found that someone had added a "shield" of phenolic between the plastic clutch line and the exhaust manifold, which eventually wore through the line and caused major leakage.
A new line, not particularly expensive, fixed that right up.

This is out of a sample of 8 manual IDIs I have or work with... Age is definitely a factor here.

I've never had one fail on me, and I like how they work.

edit:
Looks like I responded to an old post in this thread. Still, point stands.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I had a slave cylinder fail from a ID10T error.
Cycled the clutch with the trans removed/slave not installed. Lol
I did have it randomly go emptyish on me. Didn't leak anywhere I could see. Still don't know where it went. But been fine since.

Now mechanical OTOH, (79 Chevy) I did have to do some adjusting now and again.
But I gotta say peddle weight (force required?) Is better with the hydraulic.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

68f2506.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
just some of the rust repair, got everything patched on the inner fenders and core support, skimmed with bondo and today goin to prime them.

68f2506.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
top of inner fender
core support under battery
bottom center