1356 T-Case

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my truck a year ago the T-Case was locked in 4 lo, I took it apart and was able to fix that. Put it together and it worked like it was suppose to so I thought. Then I started to hear a whine when the cold weather hit and when I use 4 wd it will not come out of 4 hi, not a big problem but I would like to fix it like it should. What I found is there is suppose to be a coil spring on the shift rail inside that I did not see nor put back in when I had it apart and I think this is the problem. The diagram shows the spring but I can not tell where it goes on the shift rail. Can someone help me out and where would I be able to find the spring................. Jim

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly, I have no clue on where the spring goes. But if you can't locate the part, the local truck dismantler has plenty of blown up 1356's that he will be willing to sell parts out of. Oh btw. your friend still need a turbo?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, if you can't get a part number for it from your Ford dealer, I can try for you.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody around here seems to know what I am talking about so Mel any help would be good........... Thanks........... Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, your mystery spring is called a "Fork return spring" and is part number F1TZ7219A with a free length of 76.5mm. List price is about $4.50, available from any Ford dealer. Looks to me like it just fits on the shaft, but like you, I've never actually seen one.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mel, now I have some ammo for the dealer, I have found that my local stealership dose not want or is willing to help with the older trucks.
Case in point, my drivers door would not open from inside, I took the panel out and found the cable from the handel broke so went to stealership and ask for the cable and the parts guy said without looking it up that I would have to replace the whole latch for around $85 .
I did a search on E-bay for the latch and found the very cable I needed for $19, they are a replacment part used by Ford, Go figure ............
Again Thanks Mel for your help, my friend................... Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely blessed by a good Ford dealer. I know they are not all as good as mine is. The biggest difference, is Stoner-Wade is willing to try and help. Wanting to help makes the biggest difference. That, and they don't throw their old books away. Glad I could be of service.