12V making a noise at idle

exoticwelding

Reaction score
I recently removed the P-Pump on a 12V Cummins in a piece of heavy equipment to fix an oil leak. I pinned the pump/engine, cleaned the gear and shaft and torqued the pump shaft nut when I reinstalled it. It fired up and ran fine. We ran it for a good 15-20 minutes to make sure the oil leak was fixed and all seemed well.
About a week later I was informed that the engine was making a “bad” noise. I can’t seem to tell where this noise is coming from. At idle there is a loud sound, it almost sounds like a vacuum leak, however, I believe it is a lifter. The noise goes away when the engine is throttled up. I don’t feel this noise is related to the previous work done or the injector pump being removed because the engine runs strong and has all the power it did before.
My question is, if a piece or trash got into an injector line before the pump was installed would it cause a noise such as this? Is there a common problem related to this symptom? I was told by the operator that this engine broke a valve spring a few years back and was making a "bad" sound.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad lifter. If it broke a valve spring, then check the valve train over. But first, check and adjust the valves! If they do not have proper backlash they will make noises, break springs, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance