12 valve questions

RRowlette

Reaction score
I have a 94 Ram 2500 CTD with an automatic. My question is: What would cause the torque converter to kick in and out of lockup randomly at cruising speeds? The transmission was rebuilt 20000 miles ago replacing all aluminum gears with steel and a billet low stall converter. Also what is the easiest way to find TDC for adjusting the valves?

Thank you
Randy Rowlette

RRowlette

Reaction score
The planetary gears. The TPS was replaced when the transmission was rebuilt supposedly. I have found that the transmission shop that rebuilt my transmission is not as reliable and honest as they advertise. Suppose I could always install a new TPS but I would assume it would last longer than 6 months. Thank you for your input.

RRowlette

Reaction score
Well I know the overdrive was an aluminum cased planetary as that was the only they showed me. I will check into the TPS voltages. This was the original issue I had when I took the truck in for a transmission inspection. Four grand later, I still had the same issue and transmission shop said the problem was in the computer and was no longer their problem. This Lock-up issue is only in overdrive and only occurs at cruising speeds above 60, more so at 70mph. Again thanks for the info and the link. I will definitely check it out.

nursecosmo

Reaction score
The ring carrier for the planets is aluminum but replacing it with a steel one doesn't really accomplish anything as there is no stress on the carrier. That billet TC is something I'd like to get my hands on though. ;Sweet It really doesn't sound like a TCM.

RRowlette

Reaction score
I have finally found the time to check the TPS. It appears to functioning correctly, although voltage at idle is a little low (1.02), at wide open it is 3.68. I have heard that alternator RF interference can also cause this problem so that is the next possibility I will try, running without alternator and see if that resolves the issue. Thank you for your ideas, I put them all to use.

LostSoul

Reaction score
Is it kicking the Trans Temp light on the dash when this is happening, Mine was and I had to replace the sensor. Since then no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online