1000hp hypermax idi

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
There's an audio (supposedly) of it floating around on the interwebs, IIRC it was destroked to the point that ether was a requirement just to get it to pop off.
If you listen to the audio, it takes forever to get it started initially, and a while for it to run smooth after starting, but you can tell it's an IDI after she's running.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There's an audio (supposedly) of it floating around on the interwebs, IIRC it was destroked to the point that ether was a requirement just to get it to pop off.
If you listen to the audio, it takes forever to get it started initially, and a while for it to run smooth after starting, but you can tell it's an IDI after she's running.
Nope.. This engine was Kens from long ago. He set up that 6.9 for a 17 to 1 compression ratio. He ended up pushing the crank out the bottom of this engine. Ken Engelman was his name. Was a farmer doing the idi work as a side business. Very hard to get ahold of if you had issues with what you purchased from him. I was instrumental in helping him design the first idi specific head studs. I got the first set. They were 260,000 psi studs. Very fine product. then I overheated my engine and re rebuilt is again. Saw some coolant dripping from my engine at the fuel dock one day ready to haul horses across country. Got home and investigated the leak. Driving into my driveway I saw what I thought was a 6 inch extension laying in the drive... NOPE... Was a stud. Found 2 broken studs on drivers side head.Parked rig and used other rig. Drove to ARP with broken stud and had them tell me what happened. After all they are the world experts on studs...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the guy ran it without the oil cooler (isn't one on the block in the photos). And, if not.... no oil filter too????

Speaking of oil..... wonder where the oil plumping for the twins came and went on the engine.

I'd like to see more detail on the IP gear cover and gear used with that inline Bosch IP.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, someone called Hypermax a few years ago and talked to Max about this engine and replicating it. Pretty sure he said he could make another no problem. Just needed something like $30K.

Heath

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was surfing the internet and found this randomly! So 1200hp 6.9 6000rpms 145psi?? Lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Got this as my screensaver on work computer lol. Wish we could see a vid of it running down the strip

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know! I have seen some idi's at the drag strip here in Oregon before just running a banks kit and nothing else in the stock class do alright before, we have log truck drags here once a year during the diesel nationals it's a pretty interesting event to attend and only 50 dollars to enter a truck per event(dyno,burnout,drags,pulls) only like 15 a day to watch it all! Maybe we should get a few more idi's enter next year?? lol I'd do it if I had a back up vehicle in case something happened lol

Justin Jackson

Reaction score
It's been long enough since this post was visited. Has anyone been able to duplicate this build or come close yet? :) Would've loved to see this monster run!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been long enough since this post was visited. Has anyone been able to duplicate this build or come close yet? :) Would've loved to see this monster run!

Welcome to the forum. Although it hasn’t been done, I am working on the recipe. I build a lot of the factory turbo engines, and with them setup right I have yet to see any failure at any power level, the highest being in the mid 300 hp range.

The fuel system, mainly the rotary style pump is the main roadblock to making the big power numbers. I am working on an inline pump conversion, but time and money is an issue for me right now. You can read all about it here

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/3208-in-line-pump-conversion-for-the-idi.83315/

Justin Jackson

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Although it hasn’t been done, I am working on the recipe. I build a lot of the factory turbo engines, and with them setup right I have yet to see any failure at any power level, the highest being in the mid 300 hp range.

The fuel system, mainly the rotary style pump is the main roadblock to making the big power numbers. I am working on an inline pump conversion, but time and money is an issue for me right now. You can read all about it here

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/3208-in-line-pump-conversion-for-the-idi.83315/
Thanks I'll look into this!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk