10.25 axle swap

rterril02

Reaction score
I have a 86 with a sterling 10.25. It has a bad pinion seal. I bought a sterling 10.25 out of a 1995 ford f250. I bought it because of the long pinion. When I went down to the axle shop the guy told me that I shouldn't have a problem with the u joint but my driveline would need to be shortened. I don't understand why. Both axles are sterling 10.25's. As far as I can understand the splines are a 1/2 " longer on the long pinion and the pinion yoke is also 1/2" longer. Does 1" make enough difference so I have to shorten the drive line?. I'm just a hobby mechanic, so I have no prior axle or driveline experience. I'm probably wrong but I was hoping to just swap the axle in. Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you put a large load in the bed, the axle goes up. This shortens the distance from the rearend yoke to the transfer case or the trans. There has to be room for it to slide forward. If you take all this room up with the different rearend setup, then when you load the truck down the driveshaft will be jammed into the back of the transfer case/trans. Or the splines on the driveshaft will bind if you have the type with the slip joint in the shaft itself.

You probably could tighten the nut on the pinion you have now and it will stop leaking.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, tightening the nut will destroy your pinion bearings, not stop the leak.... the yoke and housing are the same length which won't cause an issue with your drive shaft. Just longer splines on the pinion shaft with a "deeper" yoke. The only driveshaft issues you might have is ujoints. 86 could have 1330s when the 95 is 1350s but they make conversion joints for about 30$. The 1330s have 1 1/16 bearing cap and the 1350 has 1 3/16 cap. They are the same width

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online