08 F250 6.4 and Bully Dog PMT

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
I just ordered a Bully Dog PMT programmer for my '08 F250 6.4 Diesel truck. Anyone have any experience with them good or bad?

I realize I should have asked here before ordering, but that's not an option now since it shipped today.

While I'm asking questions, why isn't there a separate 6.4 forum? :dunno

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
The reason there is not a 6.4+ forums, is because of our sister site:

www.superdutydiesel.com

That site has more information on the PSD's.... this one has alot of info on the older diesel engines.....

snicklas,

Thank you. I'm checking that site out now.

Bully dog is a JOKE. You want a SPARTAN tuner for a 6.4.

For anymore of your 6.4 needs try here http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Diesel_Brad,

Bully Dog is a joke in your experience or ? If you are sharing an opinion not based on experience, save it. I'm not asking for recommendations on what to buy.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
bully dog aint that bad. we had one on an lb7 duramax and that thing would flat out run! only problem we had were it kept throwing codes.

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
The Bully Dog arrived today.

I updated the device via the internet using Bully Dog sw. Installation took all of five minutes to splice into one wire and plug the device in under the dash then plug in the Bully Dog PMT. It took about twenty minutes to tune up and record all the present setting and change a few. I gave it a brief trial run and the extra ponies are amusing.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Bully dogs are a joke for any ford. Unsafe tunes advancing the timming WAY beyond safe area and you are not get the power you should for the money spent.

The only bully dog product i have see that was impressive was in a 06 Cummins. The truck was sideways in 4 gears, but then again it had to have its engine replaced due to multiple cyl melt down.

But it is your choice. When you burn down your engine and ford says 12k for an engine that is on YOU. It clearly states in the warranty, NO ELECTRICAL devices can be added. And trust me, they will find proof of the chip being in there even if you remove it. The computers store ALOT of the info

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
Bully dogs are a joke for any ford. Unsafe tunes advancing the timming WAY beyond safe area and you are not get the power you should for the money spent.

The only bully dog product i have see that was impressive was in a 06 Cummins. The truck was sideways in 4 gears, but then again it had to have its engine replaced due to multiple cyl melt down.

But it is your choice. When you burn down your engine and ford says 12k for an engine that is on YOU. It clearly states in the warranty, NO ELECTRICAL devices can be added. And trust me, they will find proof of the chip being in there even if you remove it. The computers store ALOT of the info

Brad,

I'll ask again; is your opinion based on experience with Bully Dog? If not, then please find a topic to post on that you are experienced with and save your amusing anecdotes.

Granted computers do store a lot of info and you may have seen one in a Dodge, but I'm confident I have forgot more about computers than you will ever know and could care less about what you heard about a Dodge.

Thank you for the concern about my money. I worked for it and can't take it with me and that's all any of us can really say about someone else's spending habits so save your concern.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Brad,

I'll ask again; is your opinion based on experience with Bully Dog? If not, then please find a topic to post on that you are experienced with and save your amusing anecdotes.

Granted computers do store a lot of info and you may have seen one in a Dodge, but I'm confident I have forgot more about computers than you will ever know and could care less about what you heard about a Dodge.

Thank you for the concern about my money. I worked for it and can't take it with me and that's all any of us can really say about someone else's spending habits so save your concern.

YES my opinion is based on PERSONAL experience. Other wise I wouldnt have an opinion. I am NOT some 15 year old kid posting about his buddy's dad's friend's trucks. I am basing my opinion on at least 4 different trucks(2 were mine) that I have driven. Timing goes into the WAY not safe range, EGTs are into the 1400* ranges and then the "chip" decides to changes settings on it own.

Do what ever you want. I am sure you can afford a 12k engine when you put a hole in a piston, rod thru the side of the block or any of the other issues high cyl pressure will cause.
I dont even know why you came on here asking how they are if you already KNOW IT ALL

GOOD LUCK

O yeah, and wait till your trans falls apart with their crappy tunes

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The problem with the bully dog is the increased power will increase smoke, which will increase the rate at which your DPF fills up. That means it will go into regen more often netting you lower fuel economy. I would say it's a great starter tune, but I would start looking into dpf delete kits.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with them good or bad?

I got this quote from your original post.

Brad gave you his opinion on this tuner based on his personal use of it. then you proceeded to tell him to shove it. you asked for the good and bad, Brad gave you his bad experiences of the system. so don't ask for something and then get a response from someone who took time out of their day to read and respond to your post and then you rip on him:backoff. i can tell by reading this that you are probly thinking that Brad was just using the tuner wrong.

I had this same kind of thing happen to me on another forum. the guy came on asking for info on the fuel system on his idi, so i give him my opinion of what was wrong based on what i have learned here and he totally ripped me and said that i was useless and that he would rather no info than bad info. BTW, what i told him was the correct info. i sent him a PM that was about a page long telling him what i thought about his ediquet. i have not heard back from him since.

You asked if any body had any expereince good or bad and you got somebody that had multiple bad experiences and since you allready coughed up your cash for it you really only wanted to hear the good experiences. so don't come on hear and ask for an opinoin and then you get one and rip on the person. You should aslo try to read the posts. Brad clearly stated that he had used the tuner. i have found that the people on this forum don't like those kind of people around here:backoff. it is not about kissing ass to make friends on here, it is about being mature about things and taking the information given to you like a man.

Here is the link to the other guy i mentioned of....
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49568

if you take the time to read it, and i hope you do, you will eventually get to read the PM i sent to the guy. and you can be reassured that i feel the same about you now.:D

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
but I'm confident I have forgot more about computers than you will ever know

:backoff:backoffDon't you dare start questioning the intelligence of some of the people on here:backoff:backoff. you would be suprised what some of these people know. (other than just ford diesel)

;Pissed

Last edited:

Paul

Dunce
Reaction score
I got this quote from your original post.

Brad gave you his opinion on this tuner based on his personal use of it. then you proceeded to tell him to shove it. you asked for the good and bad, Brad gave you his bad experiences of the system. so don't ask for something and then get a response from someone who took time out of their day to read and respond to your post and then you rip on him:backoff. i can tell by reading this that you are probly thinking that Brad was just using the tuner wrong.

I had this same kind of thing happen to me on another forum. the guy came on asking for info on the fuel system on his idi, so i give him my opinion of what was wrong based on what i have learned here and he totally ripped me and said that i was useless and that he would rather no info than bad info. BTW, what i told him was the correct info. i sent him a PM that was about a page long telling him what i thought about his ediquet. i have not heard back from him since.

You asked if any body had any expereince good or bad and you got somebody that had multiple bad experiences and since you allready coughed up your cash for it you really only wanted to hear the good experiences. so don't come on hear and ask for an opinoin and then you get one and rip on the person. You should aslo try to read the posts. Brad clearly stated that he had used the tuner. i have found that the people on this forum don't like those kind of people around here:backoff. it is not about kissing ass to make friends on here, it is about being mature about things and taking the information given to you like a man.

Here is the link to the other guy i mentioned of....
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49568

if you take the time to read it, and i hope you do, you will eventually get to read the PM i sent to the guy. and you can be reassured that i feel the same about you now.:D

'94IDITurbo7.3,

Thank you for summarizing what you feel I was asking. Perhaps I should have been more clear; I did not want recommendations for a tuner, and that's what I initially received. I should have also clarified that I was looking for experience with the Ford 6.4 and not other engines. Given that my only concern was good or bad issues with Bully Dog and the Ford 6.4, I had no reason to look closer at the previous posts.

How you feel about me obviously is of no concern to me, but I would ask that you not paraphrase and state that I told him to shove it. To the contrary I actually returned the Bully Dog in less than 30 days since reading of multiple problems with my particular engine. You may feel that I told him to shove it, but what I was looking for was his specific experience; was it with the Ford 6.4 or any Ford engine? I haven't a clue because that wasn't answered.

I do admire that you stood up for Brad. The fact is that I researched Brad's previous posts and learned that he did know what he was talking about even if he didn't answer my questions directly. I took Brad's advice to heart especially concerning info the chip stores and managed to eliminate all traces of the Bully Dog prior to taking the truck in last year for a final service prior to the warranty expiration. The service technician updated the programming and I point blank asked if there appeared to be any issues with the program and he said if there were his computer finds them and that everything checked out fine on mine.

BTW, the truck is still running strong sans the Bully Dog; I don't think I would still have the truck if the Bully Dog had remained in use for any length of time. Why no Bully Dog? Brad's advice.

I did not read the thread you linked; your interactions with others are of no concern to me. I only assume that you vented your frustration and that you now feel better. Why did I wait three years to reply? You appeared to need some time to cool off.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
'94IDITurbo7.3,

Thank you for summarizing what you feel I was asking. Perhaps I should have been more clear; I did not want recommendations for a tuner, and that's what I initially received. I should have also clarified that I was looking for experience with the Ford 6.4 and not other engines. Given that my only concern was good or bad issues with Bully Dog and the Ford 6.4, I had no reason to look closer at the previous posts.

How you feel about me obviously is of no concern to me, but I would ask that you not paraphrase and state that I told him to shove it. To the contrary I actually returned the Bully Dog in less than 30 days since reading of multiple problems with my particular engine. You may feel that I told him to shove it, but what I was looking for was his specific experience; was it with the Ford 6.4 or any Ford engine? I haven't a clue because that wasn't answered.

I do admire that you stood up for Brad. The fact is that I researched Brad's previous posts and learned that he did know what he was talking about even if he didn't answer my questions directly. I took Brad's advice to heart especially concerning info the chip stores and managed to eliminate all traces of the Bully Dog prior to taking the truck in last year for a final service prior to the warranty expiration. The service technician updated the programming and I point blank asked if there appeared to be any issues with the program and he said if there were his computer finds them and that everything checked out fine on mine.

BTW, the truck is still running strong sans the Bully Dog; I don't think I would still have the truck if the Bully Dog had remained in use for any length of time. Why no Bully Dog? Brad's advice.

I did not read the thread you linked; your interactions with others are of no concern to me. I only assume that you vented your frustration and that you now feel better. Why did I wait three years to reply? You appeared to need some time to cool off.

When I pulled this up, my first thought was that it was somebody crawling the web and digging up a 3 year old thread to ask an unrelated question. LOL

Then I read the last post and realized you were back to summarize your experience. Kudos for looking into Brad's experiences and seeking to make an informed judgement(probably saved your truck, as you said). There's def. a reason why you browse forums and don't see builds that use Bully Dog/Edge/Banks etc.

Are you running stock right now or did you find another tuner? I understand the 6.4 can be a real monster if you shed some weight in the exhaust department and throw on some custom tunes.