05 Dodge PCM Dieing

TimMiller

Reaction score
Friend of mine bought an 05 Dodge 1500 V-6 gasser. The pcm has now had to be reflashed for the 3rd time. Anyone else having this problem The truck has less than 3k miles on it. She says when the PCM quits the tranny wont shift out of second.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the problem isnt in the pcm...the trans contoller is putting the trans in limp mode........it either has a trans problem or a bad trans contoller, well...considering its a jtec controller i think....its the same thing, but at any rate, the problem is beyond a flash....take it to a different dealer!!!!! they obviously dont want to fix it, theyre just band-aiding the problem with flashes."that obviously arent fixing the problem"

TimMiller

Reaction score
Really? Thats really interesting. It hasn't died again yet. Its on number 3. Ok so dodges have a pcm then a trans controller, and i'm assuming an abs controller, and a air bag controller also. Any others. I'm just trying to get this system layed out in my head. Also i have a scan tool, do you think i can find some hidden codes possibly?

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dodge modules...lol, you asked for it
electro/mech cluster
body
abs
bcm
pcm/trans-jtec
ctm
door modules
overhead module
if it has auto temp....atcm
the radio itself...some have a seperate radio module
theres more...just cant think of em right now..its late, fyi, a generic scan tool..even a snap-on scanner cannot access ALL modules and tests sometimes needed to diagnose some problems, thats where the drb3 is a must...or for some of the newer 06's, they went to star scan, the obd scanners are useless on these trucks..mostly the 06&1/2 on up diesels went to star scan. thats a whole new ball of wax

TimMiller

Reaction score
I know it will scan the new CAN networks. I'll check into it being able to connect to all of dodges modules.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of scanner is it...i havent seen any "generic"<---loose term. scanners being able to read can-bus systems. charger, 300c, durango, new rams, crossfire, jeep grand cherokee...those are all i can think of that are on the can-bus system right now.
if you can scan can-bus, you should be able to go to a screen that shows a visual wiring diagram in real time showing which modules are active on the bus, if you watch it you'll be able to see if a module is temporarily or intermittantly falling off the bus. thats usually the biggest help, maybe thats only with the star scan..thats all i've used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online