DMF condition Test

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my Google power is weak tonight. I know I've seen a thread on testing DMF condition but I can't find it. If iirc, it's measurement of the free rotation. And there is a spec for that which I thought was like 5/8".

So I swapped flywheels to put the flex plate on the one going in storage and did that test on my DMF.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the result. My highly precise chalk lines on the floor say we are about 3/4". Maybe a touch more but less than an inch. That concerns me. I thought it was new. I couldn't get any play out of it on the engine. It occurs to me that's probably because it was torqued up on there so it would slip on itself (or maybe I'm smoking crack on that one). Anyway, this is where I am. I need to know if I'm budgeting for a new flywheel too. I'll probably go DMF again so that it won't sound like rocks in the trans. I was hoping since the clutch was relatively new the flywheel was too.

Now I'm not sure.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lookup " lucky mod"
Its here and youtube i think.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What I've wandered about is putting better springs in to take up all the play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Springs dont take up play they dampen the schok.

The friction material is the dampening part and as it waers uou can move fly wheel firther...

I did a thread and video on this but cannot find it lmao

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Springs dont take up play they dampen the schok.

The friction material is the dampening part and as it waers uou can move fly wheel firther...

I did a thread and video on this but cannot find it lmao

I found the video but it wouldn't load. It's probably about shot. Now the question is do I buy a conversion kit or go back stock. I don't want the noise and I haven't seen a SMF setup that actually gets rid of it. Some seem better than others.

reklund comes to mind. Need to go find his thread. It seemed like the most thorough documentation on what's available iirc.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks I know where my vids are lol on youtube...was trying find the thread...but vid shows the point.

You can buy NEW dmf but wowzwes for price.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Like 1400 for a complete DMF set from some places. I saw one as cheap as 550$ on rock auto but never heard of the brand. I'll probably knuckle under and do a SMF. Less than 320$ from Amazon.

I haven't been able to watch the video yet. It never loads on the ifail.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
For whatever its worth, on my IDI with a SMF, a fresh long block and a fresh fuel system, I never heard one drop of gear rollover noise in the ZF5.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was dead set on going back DMF but I've been reading all day and I've not seen much in the way of negatives and only 1 real recommendation to not go SMF . So I guess I'll bite the bullet and do it. I'll keep mine just in case it's unbearable. It's worn but I don't think it's at explosion just yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger