Super cab owners...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you super cab guys, could you take a look at your body lines? Here's what mine look like.

You must be registered for see images attach

My doors gaps are pretty even all the way around. It's hard to tell from the picture, but notice that the body line on the door seems to line up really nice with the bed line but the line in the super cab section seems to run up hill front to back. I'm going to take a roll of tape and stretch it down the line to confirm it but if my eyes aren't lying, I'm not sure what to do about this one. It may have always been that way. I can't say I looked at it that close but I am going to go back to the original pictures and see if I can tell anything.

Anyway, if you guys wouldn't mind just taking a look and maybe it's just the nature of the beast or maybe I need to do some crazy shimming or something. :dunno

Thanks!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like it started that way.

Here you can see it pretty plain that the bed didn't meet up with the cab.

The passenger side was pretty close from what I can tell.

Now I am confused.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these trucks aren't built to Mercedes-Benz precision. you have a bed hard mounted onto the frame and frame mounts in various stages of deterioration. even if you line them up today, they won't stay line up a year from now under hard use.
relax damnit :D

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a hard look at the rails that run across the bed on the bottom side, the ones the bed bolts run through, to bolt the bed to the frame.

If the bed has been over loaded, or loaded heavy and taken of rough ground, those rails will bend where they bolt to the frame.. I'm betting that's what has happened. Unless you live in the rust belt. There the rails rust, get weak, and sag...

Look, shim with washers to lift the bed back up, if the rail is solid still .. if it's rust.. I live in AZ.. I don't deal with rust.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
False alarm. It's the new cab bushings. Once I got some daylight and could get back away from it, the cab is just sitting higher than the bed. Both seem pretty straight. I'll just have to make some spacers for the bed to raise it up a smidge. As much work as I did to the underside of that cab I guess it's a miracle it lines up as good as it does.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Hi there,

I used Energy Suspension poly bushings on the cab and everything lined up without shims.

What bushings did you use? Only curious. I think shimming the bed is the right thing to do.

Paul

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I used. I wouldn't have been surprised if the front was messed up because I put all new cab mounts up there. I really didn't touch the rear around the mounts. I bought a box of washers, I'll stack till it looks right then measure and make spacers.

leojr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I used Energy Suspension poly bushings on the cab and everything lined up without shims.

What bushings did you use? Only curious. I think shimming the bed is the right thing to do.

Paul

I used the same bushings you did and my lines look like the first person's pics. The cab went from a little low to a little high. What do y'all use for bed shims?

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figure I'll use mild steel, drill it and then plate it to keep it from rusting so fast.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bed sticks out more on one side than the other. They aint a ferrari

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
False alarm. It's the new cab bushings. Once I got some daylight and could get back away from it, the cab is just sitting higher than the bed. Both seem pretty straight. I'll just have to make some spacers for the bed to raise it up a smidge. As much work as I did to the underside of that cab I guess it's a miracle it lines up as good as it does.

See.. There's always some important information left out when members come asking for help or ideas. Glad it was an easy fix cause nothing was wrong...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what's under it at this moment. It's hard to stack washers and line bolts and stuff up. The bed still needs the underside cleaned up and painted so it's no big deal to weld them on while it's standing on its nose.