Injection pressure idea

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
What is the practical limit for raising injections pressures and what would the performance result be?

Just a crazy idea really, but seth and i were wondering if it would net better mpg and power by raising the pop pressures. These injectors would be matched and paird with a freshly rebuilt pump.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Also what about custom pintles out of cat injectors or cummins are there any injector pintles out there that can fit the idi injector body

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a set in mine at 2200 psi and didnt like them, timing had to be way advanced to run well.
The factory turbo pumps have higher pop injectors but I have sold many BB codes set a 1800-1900 and no problems or complaints.
I think higher pressures strain the pump and get it outside of stock type timing parameters.

Mileage never changed.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Question about that timing I know it was above normal idi realms but do you mean it was close to untimable. And what would you say about modifed pintles seems like even though we are injecting into a precup a higher pressure and wider finer spray pattern has to help some how only seems logical

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I had a set at 2300 psi, like russ said timing had to be advanced alot, but i always liked mine i never had a complaint, my engine ran great tons of power tons of boost

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
I was hoping you would chime in because I knew u had the higher pop ones besides the timiing where there any other negitives like harder starting ect

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I was hoping you would chime in because I knew u had the higher pop ones besides the timiing where there any other negitives like harder starting ect

warm starting was fine, cold starting was a little harder around 30 and below, but my turbo ip was maxxed timing was twisted as far as it would go advanced, and it was a 20.7:1 compression motor but it never failed to start just took a couple trys when it got real cold, but the cold cranking problem is probly from low compression and being worn it always ran like a ***** ape and built 28psi of boost

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
higher pop in theroy is better for milage but our trucks dont see it till much higher pop is acheived. aalso with pintles you would need a new design and some work on the body as very few are exactly the same size, the tolerences are very close. but a fan tip would help a ton its all about atomization not pressure

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I would like to see is someone dyno there truck on normal operation.( pop pressure at the usual 1900) and then dyno it again with the the pop pressure at 2300-2400 and advanced timing and see what kind of difference there is.
Of course with a timing meter so we can see what kinda of timing it takes.

If my truck wasn't a daily driver I'd take my old glowplugs I have sitting inthe garage cut the tips off and putt em in there so the advanced timing won't break them and cause problems. Then bump up the pop pressure and see what kind of results in does yield.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well higher pressure causes better atomization but the tip of the nozel will do more for atomization than the pop pressure make the tip do this_^- that cut will allow fuel to spread out more

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking about the tip onthe glowplug. Not the injector.
Advanced timing wears the glowplugs faster so thIs way there's nothing to break off and do damage to valves piston etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726