'96 Dodge 5.2L Engine Help

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Sorry it's a dodge gasser but there is way more activity here than in the dodge section.

1996 Dodge 1500 5.2L V8

The issue:
when driving along the engine feels like the stalls out momentarily and then starts right back up. it will cough like this for a few seconds at a time. it seems to be much more of a problem when going up a hill.

We have replaced the fuel pump in the tank. the distributor cap and rotor are brand new.

It has been all of 8 years since the spark plugs and wires have been replaced. We have not pulled the plugs and checked them yet.

Today we took the truck to town. we have a diagnostic tool that can view live data of the engine as you are driving along. we hooked that up for our drive. it has a value that displays spark advance. when cruising at a constant speed it would be ~17*, fluctuating a few deg's. when we went up a hill and the engine coughed the spark advance went down to 10-12*. then once the coughing stoped it went up to 28*, then it settled back down to 17*.

I don't really know what the spark advance means but that fluctuation seems to drastic to me:dunno.

We checked the resistance of the coil and it tested just fine.

If anybody could shed some light on the spark advance thing it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clogged cat from a leaking intake manifold. Very common with these trucks.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Clogged cat from a leaking intake manifold. Very common with these trucks.

Ya know my auto teacher was talking about cats getting old a breaking down and then temporaily clogging the exhaust flow causing a hick-up. last fall when i did the O2 sensors i noticed a bit of a rattle coming from the cat. mabey that is the problem. i will check i out.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These have poor intake gaskets the cause oil to leak into the intake runners clogging the cat.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
the engine has 215,*** miles. original cat and engine gaskets.

My dad did say that he has noticed some burnt oil smell after he shuts it off.

How can we test for this possibilty, or does it have to be professionally done?

What is the avg life span of a cat?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
bad intake gasket will usually show lean on the O2s or also long term fuel in the positives, over 10

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless it leaks oil directly into the intake runner. Which these do. Check ont eh dodge forums youll see this is a very common problem.

You are correct tho Double S. Most intake leaks , leak vacuum, Not oil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.