How big of a job is a rear main on these?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm putting my 7.3 back together, and figured I should probably do a rear main while it is torn down. Are there any special tools needed? I have never done one on these engines, only gassers..

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Is your rear main leaking?

If not I don't know if I'd mess with it, I've heard many stories of people replacing rear main seals over and over again cause they couldn't get a good seal.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know, which is why I thought I should probably install a new one. I bought the engine for the heads, but it ended up being in great shape, so I am going to seal it back up. Since I never ran it personally, I have no idea if it leaks. :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If there no signs of a leak just leave it alone or... Buy the twin lip seal with the special repair sleeve from Ford or international. Usually the oem seals wear a groove in the crank. If you just replace the seal it will leak no matter how its installed. Thats why the sleeve is used here. The seal I'm refering to is the upgraded type seal and it just plain works great. These rear main seals are installed in a cover thats removeable from the block. Makes fixing easier. RTV seals the plate back up to the pan and block really nicely too. Just make sure you have everything clean so the rtv will stick and seal...

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
rear mains are simple once you have the tranny out. Just pull the flywheel off and buy yourself the expensive 2-piece seal. There's a plate that unbolts off the block to access the seal and the rest is self-explanatory. I used some RTV on the plate when I put it back on and then didn't start the truck for a couple days to let everything set up. So far Im about 5000 miles on the new seal and zero leaks.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine is torn down pretty far. It is out of the truck, heads off, etc. I see the rear cover, and see how it comes off. Am I seeing the seal at the back of the crank, or is it under the plate? There is gunk and oil on the rear of the engine.. You can't exactly tell where it came from.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you remove the rear main seal plate, the job is not hard at all.
if you don't, the job becomes a little more of a challenge.
there's been some debate of whether the seal sleeves are of any value, I use them and have had no issues whatsoever with the use of them. others have reported problems. see below for the part numbers w/pics.

Attachments

• SL377382.JPG
    SL377382.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 80
  • SL377380.JPG
    SL377380.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 82
  • SL377378.JPG
    SL377378.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 70
  • SL371497.JPG
    SL371497.JPG
    867.3 KB · Views: 88

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much am I looking at for the " Expensive " kit, with installation tool?

93iditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive resealed a couple of 7.3 powerstrokes at work, by the looks of the picture by towcat, the powerstroke and idi look pretty much the same. u do need a special tool, our shop is to cheap to buy one so we borrowed one off Ford. the kit we bought for the jobs comes with the updated seal (comes with the sleeve u loktite to the crank) the kit also includes specific "International" brand rtv sealent which works great! i could probably find a part number for the kit if your interested

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the twin lip seal? Sorry, I have been searching, but can't quite find the parts.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the twin lip seal? Sorry, I have been searching, but can't quite find the parts.
it's a non-issue with a sleeve. the whole idea for a twin-lip seal is to get around the always present crankshaft groove.
seriously, I haven't had a problem with the sleeve and I do this work "professionally" ie....if it does come back leaking, I get to eat the labor on a re-do.

93iditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree with towcat, the sleeve style seems to work good. also i just went through the tool room and apparently the boss did buy the tool for installing the sleeve style seal. its made by OTC #7835

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I just need a regular seal with the sleeve kit.. Cool.

Thanks guys!! ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online