Fuel Tanks Pulling A Vacuum

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ever since I modified my tanks with the 1/2 inch air line off the tops the tanks are under vacuum. The motor runs but sometimes it will advance the pump and it sure rattles the motor. This usually happens after a cold start and I drive off anywhere up to about 1 miles. If the motor starts and I let it warm up in the driveway it will run up a few times and drop back to idle. Almost sounds like its running out of fuel... Probably is...:dunno Is there something wrong with my fuel caps not venting to the outside...:dunno I no longer have the rollover valves. That was removed when I installed the large vent lines to the fill necks....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed my tanks will develop vacuum as well, I also have the big-rig-pump-compatible fillers with 1/2" lines and no rollover valves. Never experienced an issue with the fuel pressure tho, engine runs the same way regardless of how empty the tank gets - and I got a 33-gal rear tank that I have the habit of using up entirely on a single trip, so that would be lots of vacuum in there. I dunno why that happens tho, the caps are supposed to be venting but they clearly do not do so properly...

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
not completely sure what you did but if there is no vent to allow air back in to replace the fuel being used by the motor there is no way to avoid pulling a vacume. i had to add a vent to my in bed tank because of this problem. i actually added a ford roll over valve and some hosing to allow the tank to breath and the problem went away.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The caps are supposed to be venting tho, with those there should be no need for an external vent... Maybe time to swap the caps for a pair off a carbed Chevy or something else that has no external vents in its tanks?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary, have you tried just running around with your caps on half way? Can we assume your vent is below the level of fuel in the neck when your having this problem?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford factory diesel caps of these vintages DO NOT VENT.

The roll-over valve allows a minimal amount of venting; barely enough to accomodate the engine and darn sure not enough to allow fast fuel filling.

What I did years and years ago was to remove and discard the factory supplied 7/16 vent-hose and roll-over valves.

1/2 hose is an easy fit into the tank grommets where the 7/16 hose originally was.

I TEEed the vents of all tanks together into one 1/2" hose that terminates high and dry, with a downward-pointing "U" shape at the top end, such that rain cannot enter.

I can fuel with the rapid delivery pumps at the truck stops with no problem.

There is no hose whatsoever connected in any way to the filler-necks, save the big hose. ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well this is interesting news.... I probably will be making a new "vent line" soon. Yes Mel... I do run with the caps loose and it does not matter what level the tanks are at but... It seems the lower the level the more vacuum I can pull...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford factory diesel caps of these vintages DO NOT VENT.
Well mine sure as heck look like they would, cause they got four small holes on the bottom of the cap... But assuming you're correct (cause you usually are), what caps will fit these trucks and are vented at the same time?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you are pulling a vac, then you need to get that sucker vented and quick because it's going to get to the point where one day you are going down the road and your IP runs dry. I have run across this before a number of times. Back home it's very common for diesel tank vent lines to get clogged by muddaubbers and you have to get in and poke them out with a wire once in a while. but some vehicles have odd bends in hard lines that a wire won't go through and they have to be cut off to be cleaned out and sections of rubber added.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Capps aren't vented the correct name for the valve you removed is a roll over vent valve and is the reason you are pulling a vaccume on your tanks. I have the same problem with my jeep removed it because it was leaking and a new one was like 130bucks didn't cause a problem with the carb but when I swiched ro fule injection I can hear the tank pop out when I pull the cap.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob, like I said even with my large tank it ain't much of an issue, actually it ain't no issue at all so the caps must not be sealing properly... in which I will assist them somehow very soon, and they will be sealing even less - it's easier than redoing my vent hoses.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
FYI, any fuel tank cap that has the warning label on it, is not a vented cap.

The vented cap went away due to emission laws.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
My truck.....same story. I usually take a week or two to burn off a tank, and when I pull up to the pump....I can hear the vacuum release when I open the cap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7