clip swap help

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swappin the 88 front clip for a 93 one
holy crap i got a lotta work i need to mod the core support to make the rad fit
ok so the clip is off a 93 150 with 5.0 motor and the rad spot is way too small (already knew this was an issue) but i want to cut the old bottom off and graft it on to the new top half
can this be done?
if not ill just make it from steel but id hate to do that

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Ok, so what help do you need? Other than that it is a direct bolt on other than making bumper brackets out of some 2x2 angle iron

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
swappin the 88 front clip for a 93 one
holy crap i got a lotta work i need to mod the core support to make the rad fit
ok so the clip is off a 93 150 with 5.0 motor and the rad spot is way too small (already knew this was an issue) but i want to cut the old bottom off and graft it on to the new top half
can this be done?
if not ill just make it from steel but id hate to do that

Is your old core in good shape? You can cut the bottom portion off, measure and weld it on if you have to. It's somethign that has been discussed a couple of times.

It's a pretty easy swap though, you might need to change the cowling as well, between the hood and windshield. I had to do this to a truck I was working on...not sure why though.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never modified one to fit, but I do know the 93-94 radiator support for a diesel is hard to find. It has the big opening for the diesel radiator, and the proper mounts for the newer headlight assemblies. So older diesel supports won't work and newer supports for the other engines won't work either(as you already found out).

I work with a guy who luckily found one, but paid dearly for it. His old diesel radiator support was in such bad shape(cracked and rusted) he didn't have anything to work with.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines in rough shape but the bottom part is pristine
i wanna cut and weld tomake a correct one
only thing is where to cut for proper strength

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
mines in rough shape but the bottom part is pristine
i wanna cut and weld tomake a correct one
only thing is where to cut for proper strength

Well, this is gonna sound dumb, but cut it where it will fit lol. Gusset and brace the hell outta it. Rust check the whole thing and it should do just fine!

Mine needs a but of patchwork as well...I was talking to my painter today, and things are coming together for my painting job.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well this was started then my bank messed up my account again so theyre over with but i got low cash ill gusset with the old one somehow lol
thanks guys
i was thinking of cutting the bottom piece off and welding that back on so it sounds like a good plan

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Tom you can check the pics in my golddigger link in my sig. You can separate the upper and lower pieces of the core support. Drill out the spot welds down the inside edges of the radiator opening and the lower barrel will drop out. Replace the gasser one with the diesel barrel into the upgraded upper and it will pop right into place. Its pretty easy if ya have the tools and the time. :) the pics in my sign will show what ya end up with.
Hoe that helps ya.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any one care to esplain the difference between the two cowls? also will a 95 power shake core support work?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
any one care to esplain the difference between the two cowls? also will a 95 power shake core support work?

The 80-86 cowl has large long vent holes and body lines to follow the hood
The 87-91 cowl has small round vent holes and body lines to follow the hood.
The 92-97 cowl has small round vent holes and NO body lines.

And yes. a powerstroke rad core support will work just fine

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks ron ima take a look now its on the agenda tomorrow i just need to find a place to do my work without peoples bs trucks in pieces now so maybe on day three