CARNAGE!!

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
This is what happens with too much boost....ok I dont really know why this happened, but I fixed it anyway. I also removed the U-pipe and cleaned the connections so hopefully I have no more exhaust leaks. It is easier to hit 10psi now. :sly Does anyone know why some of the manifold bolt holes were weeping oil when I removed them?

You must be registered for see images attach

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Are you sure that its not your valve cover gaskets?

I have a crack in my passenger side exhuast manifold. Hopefully it doesnt get any worse....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy s***! I can't imagine those big cast iron manifolds cracking like that... wow! I think that's a first. I agree the oil is probably coming from the vave covers or maybe some other leak on the block someplace.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Everything was dry until I removed the manifold bolts. Two of them leaked oil and several other bolts were just wet with it. The oil you see on the manifold all came out as soon as I loosened the bolt.

This was my passenger side manifold, it was still in one piece when I removed it. The crack went 3/4 of the way around and 2 light taps on the ground separated it.

bignastystacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi jack; put em up!...

My valve cover gaskets are leaking a bit. Is this just an unbolt and replace operation or is there more involved?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 7.3 in my truck was a junkyard motor. The ambulance it was in got hot (water pump leak) and I cracked the driver's side exhaust manifold and and the driver's side head.

As far as you know, has that motor been overheated in the past? Didn't wash the engine with cold water after a hard run (thermal shock)? I'd have a good look at that head, as IIRC, there should be no contact with the oil galley with the exhaust manifold bolts. If oil is leaking form there, you may have a crack.

Heath

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Eh, stuff breaks when it gets old....Hard pulls and high EGT's will do that, something has to give eventually....If it happens again to the same manifold I would be concerned as to why but for now - party on.;Sweet

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I dont know the history, I haven't overheated it, but the crack was there when I purchased the truck. I just didn't know it was leaking until I turned the fuel up and soot started coming out. I'll take a look around the head to see if I spot any cracks, but fluid wise everything is where it should be. My mpg just took a hit though, 10psi comes so much easier I keep dropping the hammer to watch the boost climb. :D