Firewall Re-inforcement plate

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Again i am going to apologize for the bad cameraphone pics cause my digicam is at work..

here is the first test part. it is only 16ga steel but for only the second part ive cut and doing the bends on a bench vise with a torch...i think i did good.

the production ones will be 12ga and bent on a brake...

so far im happy with the progress though...

im just glad i am able to show you guys some of the fruits of my labor and show that im not just tryin to fill you guys up with undeliverable promises of parts ;Sweet;Sweet

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i wont know price until i buy the actual material to make them.

*edit*

ok thanks heath for the TSB. this part will fit 83-91. with this you do not need the small firewall plate. this will go above and beyond what the small plate would do and reinforce a very large portion of the firewall to prevent severe damage.

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
i wont know price until i buy the actual material to make them.

as far as i can tell they should fit 80-91. i dont know if the 92-96 trucks would be the same setup.

Dont the 80-86 have a differnt setup then the 87-91? The 92-97 have a huge cast aluminum housing under the dash so there is no need to renforce the firewall

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
they do but from what i seen its not greatly different from the 87-91....and this bracket looks like its made to fit either or

its a matter of the bolt holes being more vertical on the 87-91 and the 80-86 a little more of an angle...this bracket (the one from ford) has two sets of holes in it

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parden my ignorance, but where on the fire-wall does this go and what are we re-inforcing ??

Many many many years ago, on my 1985 when it was almost new, I had the fire-wall crack around the clutch-master bolts, thus not allowing the clutch to fully dis-engage.

I gave a grand total of twelve dollars for Ford's "re-inforcement kit" that in no way resembles the piece pictured. :dunno

For what it's worth, as when these trucks were brand-new, and this was pretty much common knowledge amongst Ford truck owners, I always thought this was Ford's mistake and the truck owner/buyer should not have had to bear the burden of expense and installation; it should have been a recall item. -cuss

I can't believe I still hear of these old trucks that have gotten this far without already having it fixed twenty years ago. :dunno

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
they made a small and a large piece. been looking for a small one but haven't found one yet...

yes it is for the clutch master cylinder area

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you can still find the kit from ford good luck....they are no longer available from ford.

do you know offhand what ford wanted to charge for it?

i know the small kit for the 87-91 trucks was 14.95+ shipping. The big kit for the 80-86 was 120something:***: so i'm hoping i can find it cheaper

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one I put in my 1985 has so far worked for the last twenty-plus years.

Ford should have had more sense than to mount a clutch-master to a paper-thin flimsy piece of sheet-metal. cookoo

I don't know where you guys shop for Ford parts; every Ford dealership anywhere around here will only have/order stuff back ten years. :dunno

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
I don't know where you guys shop for Ford parts; every Ford dealership anywhere around here will only have/order stuff back ten years. :dunno

im not shopping at the dealer...im makin what ford stopped supplying ;Really;Really

the one i got i used for a pattern came from a truck another member on here parted out.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I just check with the dealership I work at. The large kit is no longer available through ford, but a few dealerships still have some on the shelves. It would be 150 my cost if my dealership had one. They dont. I can have them order one from another dealer and it would be 160 plus shipping. These are with my employee discount. If you can find a way to get them cheaper, do it as these wont last forever. Freebird Im am definatly ordering one (even a test run one) if you can beat the above prices. I have scoured the local yards and cant seem to find one. My firewall is flexing now and Im afraid its gonna go so Im not driving the truck as much. Pm me a price shipped to portland and I will buy one of your test ones.

punk

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the donor plate came off of a 83, a 84 ,or possibly a 88, Im not sure but I think 83 is correct./ thats the one that was apart when I did my 92