Pedal Position Sensor wacked up

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Six months ago I was having to push my pedal down further than I had to prevoiusly to get the RPMs to increase. Then when I was pushing the pedal a little bit the engine would jump up and down in RPMs as if was quickly stomping on and letting of the pedal, but if I pressed it down more to really accelerate it would put out a steady acceleration.

Pulled a code which indicated a bad Pedal Position Sensor. The only source was the dealer for $450 for the entire pedal assembly. Then I did find the just the sensor for $50 that I plugged into the pedal assembly. My pedal performed like it had originally: pressing a little bit gave me even acceleration at any RPM.

Over the past 2 months the old jerking behavior has been coming back which would indicate I need a new sensor again. This makes me think there is another component that is causing the Pedal Position Sensor to go bad.

Any ideas on a solution so I don't have to throw $50 at this every six months?

BigRedWeather

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They IH dealer has this sensor too, and I understand it is less expensive to get it from them. It's just a potentiometer or something like that. No way for it to really go bad from anything other than your foot, and the dirt on the floor.

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was no dirt on the Pedal Position Sensor (PPS I'm making my own acronyms now) and not a bit of dust on it- it rides 10 inches above the floor. But I decided to accept the sensitivity to dirt these guys were talking about and blew it out with compressed air. It is a sealed unit. It looks like during final assembly a "door" is glued in place around the slot that turns to actuate it. I rotated the slot and blew air down in there. Put it back on the truck, and no more jerking. So thanks for the info guys!

I will post here again if the jerking returns, but I'll bet another treatment of compressed air will fix it again.

The last time, unlike this time, I had trouble with the PPS my truck threw codes:

-P0122 A circut low input
-P0221 Pedal Position Sensor Performance

I don''t know for sure but I'm pretty sure compressed air would not have fixed that problem. (I was having more symptoms that just jerking) I wound up getting the PPS from here for $55:

Parts Highway
2221 5th Avenue, Ronkonkoma
11779, New York
United States
CALL US: 1-631-580-3442
Fax: 1-631-737-8608
E-Mail: [email protected]

Today I looked on eBay and found a new one for $42.

If you need one, give it a try, or as is posted above, try the IH dealer.

BigRedWeather

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... its a week later and my truck is jerking again when the pedal is slightly depressed. I will blow it out again...

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've learned about two sources for the sensor and thought it might be helpful:

Ask for the Dorman 699-200 Pedal Position Sensor

Parts Highway
2221 5th Avenue, Ronkonkoma
11779, New York
United States
CALL US: 1-631-580-3442
Fax: 1-631-737-8608
E-Mail: [email protected]

-$52 1 year warranty, if it fails within 1 year they will ship out a new, cost to you $0.

Auto Parts Direct To You- on Ebay
U.S.A.: 1-866-770-2771
699-200 39.99 free ship lifetime

$39.99 Lifetime warranty, if it fails it costs you $15 to get a replacement shipped to you.

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to complete the information that others might read...

Putting dielectric grease on the connector did not help. The connector is held together, and stationary by a clip and the wire is not being moved when the truck is running so I am not surprised that this did not help. (Obviously, from previous posts another problem could be fixed by the grease on the connector.) So now I am waiting for my on-order sensor to arrive.

BigRedWeather

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TPS (throttle position sensor)

....It recieves a 5 volt reference on the Brown/White ---- ground circuit on the Black/White wire. It also sends a .9 volt to 4.5 volt signal on the Green/White wire to the PCM to indicate throttle position.

IVS ( idle verification sensor)

The IVS is a normally closed switch. It has 2 wires, 1 is a Brown, a fused battery voltage wire , the other is Red/Orange and goes to the PCM to confirm pedal position. When the pedal is in the idle position the Brown wire at the IVS is battery voltage and the Red/Orange wire is 0 volts.

As pedal travel
increases to approximately 1.3 volts as indicated on the Green/White wire at the AP sensor[or TPS], the voltage on the Red/Orange wire should increase to battery voltage to indicate acceleration.

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got home and the Pedal Position Sensor had arrived. Ten minutes later my truck was accelerating smoothly again. Hopefully this one will last longer.

Thanks for the help,

BigRedWeather

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle