Info on "6.9 Bank's Turbo"

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have a line on a Bank's turbo, I asked they if it was a sidewinder, but he said he didn't see anything like that on it. He did say it had a heavy duty aluminum airbox that said "6.9 Bank's" on it. Anyone know anything about these? Will I have any problems fitting this on a 7.3? He's suppose to be e-mailing me pics, so I'll post them as soon as I have them.

thanks, for any help!

MoMo

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that one, works nice for me. I would think of a way to eliminate the big air cleaner box, tends to be a pain to remove.
Someone outside of vegas has one for sale, looks complete with exhaust system included. He wants 1200.00 for the whole setup, seems a little high to me but I've never priced one, so I dont know.

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I do think this is the older non-wastegated one. Here are the pics he sent me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Is there anything I should know about installing this thing? Anything I should look at when I go to pick it up. He said there was a little play in the impeller, but said it was running when it came off. Anything I should do to it before I install it? I saw on another thread where someone recommended wrapping the up-pipes in header wrap.

Thanks for your help!

MoMo

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate that airbox. If you can, plan to do a Moose Air type deal when you install it. Problem is you'd need a home made, or hypermax intake hat.

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate that airbox. If you can, plan to do a Moose Air type deal when you install it. Problem is you'd need a home made, or hypermax intake hat.

Where would one find a hypermax turbo hat. Of course, building my own would be a fun challenge.....

MoMo

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same turbo on my '88. The intake hat will unbolt from the airbox and is still useable with a home made air filter assy. I am running a Napa 6637 airfilter and 4" tubing instead of that big airbox.

The intake hat (has 2 studs sticking out the top) is laying in between the filter and airbox in the pics you posted.

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same turbo on my '88. The intake hat will unbolt from the airbox and is still useable with a home made air filter assy. I am running a Napa 6637 airfilter and 4" tubing instead of that big airbox.

The intake hat (has 2 studs sticking out the top) is laying in between the filter and airbox in the pics you posted.

Great, I was wondering how that would work! Thanks! How do you like the turbo? Anything I should do before I install it?

MoMo

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my turbo off my parts truck and used it as is. It has a little play in the shaft but seems ok. I maxed my pump and can make 13lbs of boost so I'm happy with it.

I think this non-wastegated Banks spools better than my sidewinder (on my '85) did. It's been awhile since I sold the '85 so my memory could be fuzzy but I do think I like this turbo better. I haven't towed with this turbo though (use my PSD for towing) so I can't compare that to the sidewinder.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Can you post a pic of your setup? I would like to do the same with mine to eliminate the box. Thanks

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of your setup? I would like to do the same with mine to eliminate the box. Thanks

Basically I used a piece of 4" dia exhaust tubing, Spectre flex intake duct, and a Napa #6637 airfilter. I welded a bracket to the tubing to support it and mounted the CDR to the tubing. I used a short piece of Exhaust tubing to connect the flex duct to the airfilter.

gandalf

Reaction score
I have the installation instructions in a word document if you'd like them. PM me an email address if you want.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think that i would pay 1200 for one, if you have the patience, you should just wait and find one in the junkyard for 200-400. For 400 dollars more you could just get the basic hypermax kit and have everything that you need.

If you can get this kit for under 500-600 then thats a pretty good deal if its complete.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Basically I used a piece of 4" dia exhaust tubing, Spectre flex intake duct, and a Napa #6637 airfilter. I welded a bracket to the tubing to support it and mounted the CDR to the tubing. I used a short piece of Exhaust tubing to connect the flex duct to the airfilter.

Thank you 85 hauler. Where did you move the coolant reservoir too? I'm going to start fabricating something soon.

7.3 4x4 power

deere power!!
Reaction score
i would say 1200 is to much but on ebay they go for that much all the time i got mine with everything low miles and all (newer wastgated style) all it was missing was an oil line elbow for 750 kinda high but i love it now makes a huge difference when i pull anything i can beat my 93 dodge no problem now and can really beat other idi's with stock turbos